Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Caulking basement baseboards

I was wondering if it's ok to caulk between the baseboards and laminant
floor in a basement. Laminant floor is laid on top of a flaoting
membrane. Any reasons why this should not be done?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Floating floors expand and contract depending on moisture levels and
temperature. That's why you generally leave a gap between the edge of
the floor and the wall to allow for movement.

If you caulk the baseboard to the floor, you're defeating the ability
of the floor to move. I would think at a minimum you'd have some
cosmetic concerns, and quite possibly you'd have problems with the
floor buckling, if the caulking held fairly firm. I once bought a
rental property where the previous owner had put laminate in one of the
rooms in the basement. He laid the floor very tight to the walls, and
the floor buckled upward to the point that I couldn't enter the room,
because the door wouldn't open more than a couple of inches. We had to
enter by a window to access the room and repair it.

Good luck.

Maurice

wrote:
I was wondering if it's ok to caulk between the baseboards and laminant
floor in a basement. Laminant floor is laid on top of a flaoting
membrane. Any reasons why this should not be done?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all. Looks like a floating floor should not be caulk to the
baseboards. Maybe someone can help us with this issue. We are seeing a
few more spiders than we like in our home. Pretty big and hairy and
about once a week we have to kill one. Home is about 3 yrs old and
never had this problem until we put in a central A/C unit. It is almost
impossible to tell how the spiders are geting inside the home. Saw a
few in the basement washroom and 2 in the above most bathroom. Just saw
one under the baseboard (in the crack) of the basement and thought they
could be coming from there. There are probably cracks between the
concrete floor and wall somewhere in the walkout basement.

I know understand that spiders can help keep bugs in order but just
don't like big furry ones in our home! Instead of getting someone to
spray pesticides, what else can I do to try and prevent this IF, they
are indeed getting in underneath the baseboard in the basement some
how.

Thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

the floor may bind or pull at the baseboard if you caulk it, the caulk
with juct crack and break.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

I was wondering if it's ok to caulk between the baseboards and laminant
floor in a basement. Laminant floor is laid on top of a flaoting
membrane. Any reasons why this should not be done?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Vacuums are great, not only keep the dust down but they can suck all the
spiders out of their crevices. Remember to empty on a regular basis.

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

So it sounds like there is no preventative solution to the spider
issue? I was afraid of that. Still don't want to bring in someone to
spray the inside of the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey Malcolm,

Sounds like your spray of the insects is also keepgin the spiders at
bay. Maybe decreased insects = decreased food supply for spiders as
well? Thanks, will look into sparying the outside for sure.