Posted to alt.home.repair

Default can insurance companys tell you what contractors to use?

Looking for help here , to explain my bad luck here it is
back in 98 we had a new metal roof put on the house just plain
jane galvinized roofing
well this last april we had a tornado come through and had damage
done to the 4 stall grage the house roof and about 8 windows
along with some trees in our yard
ok we got estimates from 4 local contractors and turned them in
to the insurance company
house roof is that was damaged (onl;y one side of roof) is apoxx,
1800 sq feet and garage is 2700 total .
since they are only doing have the house roof with replacement cost
they only want to pay for matierals , i checked the cost with
lowes ,menards and home depot all adverage about the same
menards total for all materials and dielivery was right at 3890.00
for everything ,lowes was 3930.00,and home depot was right at
4000.00 not including tax on any of them
all 4 contractors put a estimate right at 8300.00 to 8500.00 for
the house and 2300. all for the garage.
this was all done april of 2006 since then the roof has been
leaking and windows have been leafing since and doing more damage ,
carpet drapes big screen tv ceiling tiles not to menion what unseen
damage is done to rafters in side the walls window headers or
anything else

we have been calling the agent almost every day trying to get this
done finally got aletter from them telling us this one forgot to
tell the other one that it needed looked at so both agents
thought it was done now we have more damage and getting a screwin

we just want our house fixed and done right , we had already
committed to one contractor and wanted to get started right way but
he finally back out after the insurance company declined his open
bid
help please anyone
wolfman44

Posted to alt.home.repair

"wolfman44" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

No, they cannot tell you which contractor to use. What they can do is offer
you "X" dollars, which they will claim (accurately or not) is an adequate
amount of money to cover the repairs for which they are responsible. That
amount may or may not be sufficient to hire the contractor you would like to
use. The question you really face is whether the amount they offer is
adequate to hire a competent contractor, who might be less expensive than
your favorite contractor but is still capable of performing the work to a
reasonable standard.. If the insurance doesn't offer enough money to hire a
mid-priced contractor, you should call your state insurance commissioner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wolfman44 wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Name of insurance company? Your agent? Maybe time to talk to your laywer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle Boatright wrote:

"wolfman44" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Isn't there such thing as current value replacement? Whatever it costs
they have to pay for it minus deductible. When my sun room got bombed by
hail storm, I had two estimate done, insurance adjuster came out and
inspected the damage and we were told to have it fixed by contractor of
our choice. I told one, it's his job if deductible is waved, he did.
We got new roof with better improved material, did not cost us anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a similar situation, with idiot adjusters ETC. A storm with
straight line winds @ 100 mph dropped a cottonwood on our workshop (40
X60) destroying the metal roof, and dropping several other trees
tearing down our fence freeing the live stock. A child adjuster came
by and suggested we cover the shop roof with plastic (roll eyes). We
messed with them for about 2 weeks while rain pored on our equipment
including an engine partly torn apart. We did a little research and
found the number for the home office and gave them a call which got us
a senior adjuster on site. Then the contractor hassles began, but in
the end it is better than it was, but we ate a lot of damage to
contents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

no, but they can tell you ones not to use, and so can you. example:
they want you to use axegrinder car repair, you can say no, then you
say you want to use likenew car repair and they say no, eventualy you
will have to find one that works for both of you.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

wolfman44 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
no, but they can tell you ones not to use, and so can you. example:
they want you to use axegrinder car repair, you can say no, then you
say you want to use likenew car repair and they say no, eventualy you
will have to find one that works for both of you.

Empressess #124457

The insurance company cannot tell you which contractors you can or
cannot use. They can only tell you how much they are willing to pay,
after having an adjuster do an inspection and considering any quotes
you get and give them.

In the case of the OP, I think you have been far too patient. If they
were screwing me around since April, I'd have filed a complaint with
the state insurance authorities. I'd also put in a call to any local
TV media. Many times they are interested in doing stories of folks
misery in situations like this. And it might also be time to talk to
an attorney. Sometimes a threatening letter can work wonders.

The best Games

wolfman44 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wolfman44 wrote:
[...]

As a contractor that does a lot of insurance work, I can give
you my experiences. The insurance company cannot tell you
which company to use, but they can require that the one you
use has all of their insurance up to date and all required
licenses for the jurisdiction. They must get permits when
required, and fulfill all inspection requirements.

You mention that they turned down companies with "open"
estimates. I have always been required to submit line item
estimates for approval. The insurance company reviews the
estimate, submits any refusals or changes and I have the
choice of arguing with them or accepting the changes. I argue
and win quite often. Finally, when an agreeable total is
reached, the insurance company will release the job to me.
During the course of the job, when/if unanticipated work comes
up, I will file an addendum to the insurance company. This
also has to be negotiated and approved by the insurance
company. When I am finished, I must submit lien releases to
get paid.

Use anyone you want, but it is in your best interests to hire
a contractor that is experienced in dealing with insurance
companies. It can save you money, or get more work done than
they originally agreed to pay for. The contractor will not be
surprised by the paperwork involved, either. The paperwork
alone can be quite time consuming. I build it into my costs.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

Hi,
Isn't there such thing as current value replacement? Whatever it costs
they have to pay for it minus deductible. When my sun room got bombed by
hail storm, I had two estimate done, insurance adjuster came out and
inspected the damage and we were told to have it fixed by contractor of
our choice. I told one, it's his job if deductible is waved, he did.
We got new roof with better improved material, did not cost us anything.

That is insurance fraud! So why don't you STFU with your stupid stories that
mean nothing to anyone except your little fantasy world.
--
Tekkie "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX posted for all of us...

I had a similar situation, with idiot adjusters ETC. A storm with
straight line winds @ 100 mph dropped a cottonwood on our workshop (40
X60) destroying the metal roof, and dropping several other trees
tearing down our fence freeing the live stock. A child adjuster came
by and suggested we cover the shop roof with plastic (roll eyes). We
messed with them for about 2 weeks while rain pored on our equipment
including an engine partly torn apart. We did a little research and
found the number for the home office and gave them a call which got us
a senior adjuster on site. Then the contractor hassles began, but in
the end it is better than it was, but we ate a lot of damage to
contents.

You failed to mitigate damages; should have said to adjuster "Get the plastic
guy out"
--
Tekkie "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."
Posted to alt.home.repair

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in
:

Eric in North TX posted for all of us...

I had a similar situation, with idiot adjusters ETC. A storm with
straight line winds @ 100 mph dropped a cottonwood on our workshop
(40 X60) destroying the metal roof, and dropping several other trees
tearing down our fence freeing the live stock. A child adjuster came
by and suggested we cover the shop roof with plastic (roll eyes). We
messed with them for about 2 weeks while rain pored on our equipment
including an engine partly torn apart. We did a little research and
found the number for the home office and gave them a call which got
us a senior adjuster on site. Then the contractor hassles began, but
in the end it is better than it was, but we ate a lot of damage to
contents.

Stay away from State Farm. They suck. My mother-in-law paid into State
Farm for 30 years (home and auto policies) and never had ONE claim.
Storm comes, blows away some of the shingles on her tiny house and the
plywood gets wet. I've heard that some ins. co's will cut you a check
for a new roof or at least part of it because of storm damage to roofs.
Granted most of the damage is from time itself and not so much from the
storms/weather. The asshole adjuster says: "hire someone to replace the
shingles; should only cost a few hundred, less than your deductable,
have a nice day!" I think after paying tens of thousands of dollars
into an insurance company, they should have cut her a $1500 check (all
it'd be to reshingle her house). Assholes.