Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete Driveway Repair Question

Hello All,

I'm writing with a question regarding the repair of a concrete driveway
that I hope somebody might be able to answer for me...

I have a ten year old concrete driveway made up of four sections that
is in very good condition apart from the fact that small gaps have
recently developed between some of the sections that were not connected
by expansion strips.

I know that, unless I close these cracks up before winter, the ice and
snow will work them apart and I will have much more trouble down the
road.

My plan is to clean any debris out of the gaps and then fill them with
either foam backer rods or cane fiber expansion joint strips. After
that I was going to treat them with some sort of polyurethane sealant.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Are there any improvements that
might be made to it or anything that I'm missing? Thanks in advance for
any suggestions you might provide!

Christopher

Posted to alt.home.repair

theres black caulking made espically for this purpose. clean joints and
apply.

its likely water under the slabs is causing the problem and the amount
coming thru open joints although important is secondary to other
sources.

if your on a slope, adding a perforated pipe drain is a good idea
alongside the slabs draining well away to a lower area

Posted to alt.home.repair

be careful to check for settling between the sections, you may want to
make any other repairs first.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I recently used SIKA self leveling grout......comes in one of those
huge caulking cartridges.

The gun was only $15 & the stuff worked great.

Got them all at HDepot

The stuff is rather runny when applied so use a backer rod. and keep
the grout cross section towards the low limit of the specs.

I had a rather troublesome application...variable joint width & I had
some leaks....be prepared for leaks by having some extra backer rod &
scissors handy so you can cut a piece to plug the leak....just stuff
the piece below the surface with stick or probe.

The stuff appears to cure by chemical reaction so warmer weather is
better.

I looked a little to bright "light grey" when applied but mine has been
self staining from concrete / dirt / dust....perfect match now.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
theres black caulking made espically for this purpose. clean joints and
apply.

BLACK caulking on a CONCRETE driveway isnt a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are concrete type caulks, shaded similar to concrete, which is
what I would use. At HD, they have some of them in the paint section
with the rest of the caulk and some where the sakrete is located.