Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ventilation ideas for under new addition

Peeked under the 20x10 addition we had added last month.

~2 feet of cement board was used to seal off the addition from the
oustide.
It has a stucco coat on top of it. There's one 2ft x 2ft access door
that uses vinyl siding
as a face. The siding is the perforated (small circles) kind to let
air flow in.
That door is by the steps, on the left side wall if you were looking at
it from the back wall.

There is no other ventilation slots.

When I looked under there today, the blue styrofoam board that's nailed
to the foundation beams was soaked in moisture and dripping. Te back
wall uses 4 concrete forms with a flat 2x12 on top of them and 3 2x12's
on their edge supporting the floor beams.

The flat 2x12 had a lot of mold on it. I took a bucket of hot water &
bleach & crawled under & scrubbed it.

What could I use to add more ventialtion? I was thinking of trying to
find 16" return vent duct covers, cut out a hole in the cement board
and just screw them into the studs. Woudl that work? Any other
suggestions?
thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Let me add that I'm not sure it's mold vs a fungus vs ....9whatever)

The addition is actually 20x20 - we took down the original old 20x10
addition & pushed it back 10 more feet. We left the original cinder
block wall standing. The portion under the old 20x10 addition (i.e
inside the cinder block wall) doesn't show any moisture even though it
doesn't have any ventilation other than a 2x2 foot section was broken
out so I could get from the new part to the old part.

saag wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

the most important thing here is air flow, right now you only have 1
hole, so if the wind is blowing in it can't go out, as long as there
are other vents the problem should dissapear.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

saag wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Still looking for ideas what to use to cover the hole.

saag wrote:
[...]

Electrical and ventilation questions for cloakroom Andy Hall UK diy 12 August 12th 06 09:14 PM
Attic roof vent and ventilation Walter Cohen Home Ownership 5 August 5th 06 11:26 PM
question about attic ventilation & humidity jeff Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 04:16 PM
roof ventilation Johan UK diy 2 December 10th 03 09:49 PM
Roof space ventilation Christian McArdle UK diy 6 December 2nd 03 09:21 AM