Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulation for this old house (mine)

I need to add some insulation to a two story house with a metal roof. I
am starting from the attic because seems to be the most needy. Access
is difficult, so the insulation has probably to be blown up.

Have checked Lowe's and Home Depot but they only carry some stuff that
looks like shredded paper. Is this what I should use or is there a
better product?

Also I am confused about the R requirements: It's R38 in my area (SE
Texas) with gas or other fuel heat, but the tables at the shop say has
to be R49 if you have an electric furnace. I have electric HVAC but
can't understand why the R value should be different.

Thank you for your help

Art

Posted to alt.home.repair

blown cellulose (yes it looks like shredded paper) is the way to go in
an attic. not sure why fuel source would make a difference (unless
they are calculating the payback period) but whatever the case, why not
blow in R 49 as long as you are going to the trouble.
Carpenter wrote:
I need to add some insulation to a two story house with a metal roof. I
am starting from the attic because seems to be the most needy. Access
is difficult, so the insulation has probably to be blown up.

Have checked Lowe's and Home Depot but they only carry some stuff that
looks like shredded paper. Is this what I should use or is there a
better product?

Also I am confused about the R requirements: It's R38 in my area (SE
Texas) with gas or other fuel heat, but the tables at the shop say has
to be R49 if you have an electric furnace. I have electric HVAC but
can't understand why the R value should be different.

Thank you for your help

Art

Posted to alt.home.repair

i don't have that number in my head, but 15" sounds about right.
should say on the bag. instead of measuring the depth in the attic, i
like to go by square footage. if you know the square footage of the
attic, you can purchase enough insulation to fill the area to R 49. say
50 bags. then divide the attic into say fifths, and blow 10 bags into
this space. in this way you will get an even distribution. if you go
by depth, you will wind up at the access blowing it three feet deep at
the end or you will run out. note also that th 15" is a settled
height. you'll need a little more than that to allow for settling.
Carpenter wrote:
I need to add some insulation to a two story house with a metal roof. I
am starting from the attic because seems to be the most needy. Access
is difficult, so the insulation has probably to be blown up.

Have checked Lowe's and Home Depot but they only carry some stuff that
looks like shredded paper. Is this what I should use or is there a
better product?

Also I am confused about the R requirements: It's R38 in my area (SE
Texas) with gas or other fuel heat, but the tables at the shop say has
to be R49 if you have an electric furnace. I have electric HVAC but
can't understand why the R value should be different.

Thank you for your help

Art

Posted to alt.home.repair

the paper is treated to be fire-resistant, and has a better r rating
per inch than most other insulation types, but you do need to spread it
kind of evenly, and be able to see where it is going. (get the gogles
and a dust mask as a minimum.) yo can always go with a higher r-value
than is required, and the r-vale of blown insulation is controlled by
deapth, after it settles. as blown the insulation will be much thicker
than it will be after is settles.

Empressess #124457

The best Games