Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool and phosphates

After chasing no chlorine for most of the summer, our pool store
finally go around to testing for phosphates (run off from our grass
service). They found a bunch. Their suggestion was to basically
replace the water in the pool. Any way to chemically or other wise leach
out the phosphates? Seems like something we will have to multiple times
over the course of the summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
After chasing no chlorine for most of the summer, our pool store
finally go around to testing for phosphates (run off from our grass
service). They found a bunch. Their suggestion was to basically
replace the water in the pool. Any way to chemically or other wise leach
out the phosphates? Seems like something we will have to multiple times
over the course of the summer.

Just a thought: Before all this talk by the pool industry about
phosphates and phosphate removal products, thousands of pool were kept
clear simply by ...proper chlorination. In other words, there is
absolutely no reason to replace the water multiple times during the
summer because of phosphates.

There are many other reasons why you would be 'chasing chlorine' other
than high phosphate levels.

The secret to clear pool water is two-fold: proper levels of sanitizer
efficiency and pH.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
"giroup01" wrote:

The secret to clear pool water is two-fold: proper levels of sanitizer
efficiency and pH.

We also spent most of the summer chasing pH and alkalinity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman writes:

Any way to chemically or other wise leach
out the phosphates?

Be skeptical of pool store tests, especially when the infallible computer
tells you to buy a bunch of stuff.

Dose 10 ppm free chlorine in the evening and lower pH to 7.0. Cures just
about anything that can outgas from the water.

Pool stores look like pharmacies any more. They have bottles of high-
priced remedies for every possible ailment, when you hardly ever need
anything but the most ordinary chemistry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
After chasing no chlorine for most of the summer, our pool store
finally go around to testing for phosphates (run off from our grass
service). They found a bunch. Their suggestion was to basically
replace the water in the pool. Any way to chemically or other wise leach
out the phosphates? Seems like something we will have to multiple times
over the course of the summer.

I had a real high level Phosphate in my pool it's food for Algae. I used a
product called Zero-Phos (
http://www.advantagepoolsupplies.com...CategoryID=362 ) It took
care of it. I discontinued the yard service, I can fertilize my pool myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sacramento Dave writes:

I had a real high level Phosphate in my pool it's food for Algae.

Then filter out the algae, and you filter out the phosphate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

We also spent most of the summer chasing pH and alkalinity.

Salt water generators raise pH to about 7.8 due to the production of
sodium hydroxide and features like waterfalls raise pH by freeing up
carbonic acid. In this last case you may see a significant drop in
alkalinity when you r-eadjust the pH downwards.Do you have a SWG and/or
waterfalls/fountains?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om,
"giroup01" wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

We also spent most of the summer chasing pH and alkalinity.

Salt water generators raise pH to about 7.8 due to the production of
sodium hydroxide and features like waterfalls raise pH by freeing up
carbonic acid. In this last case you may see a significant drop in
alkalinity when you r-eadjust the pH downwards.Do you have a SWG and/or
waterfalls/fountains?

Nope, just your standard run-of-the mill swimming pool with sand
filter, chlorinator, diving board and lousy chemistry..