Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hanging a mantle

Have a brick fireplace. Also have your basic slab of exotic wood (7feet
by 18 inches, 2 inches thick) that I would like to place on this
fireplace as a mantle. Not sure how to hang it, but am sure want the
hanging to be invisible. Am thinking of drilling 4-5 half inch holes in
the mortar line, placing a metal rod along with epoxy in those holes,
making sure they are plumb and true. And long enough to stick out 8-10
inches. Then drilling matching holes ( maybe a wee bit larger) in the
wood slab. Then sliding it onto the rods with or without epoxy. That
should allow for a nice invisible installation. Anyone have suggestions
or shoot down commments? Or a better way?

The fireplace has a gas fireplace in it that is used infrequently, but
will be about 2 feet below where I envision the mantle.

thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bluetsilk wrote:
Have a brick fireplace. Also have your basic slab of exotic wood (7feet
by 18 inches, 2 inches thick) that I would like to place on this
fireplace as a mantle. Not sure how to hang it, but am sure want the
hanging to be invisible. Am thinking of drilling 4-5 half inch holes in
the mortar line, placing a metal rod along with epoxy in those holes,
making sure they are plumb and true. And long enough to stick out 8-10
inches. Then drilling matching holes ( maybe a wee bit larger) in the
wood slab. Then sliding it onto the rods with or without epoxy. That
should allow for a nice invisible installation. Anyone have suggestions
or shoot down commments? Or a better way?

The fireplace has a gas fireplace in it that is used infrequently, but
will be about 2 feet below where I envision the mantle.

thanks.

Use only 3 rods (how much weight?)
1/2" is probably too big a hole for the mortar joints
How will you drill the holes level/straight into the wall?
Do you have drill press to make the holes in the wood straight?

Sounds like it will work but be difficult to execute.

Have a friend with a welder? Clamp a piece of steel to the back of the
wood and drill through the metal and wood together to make sure it is
all lined up. Weld the rods in place on the plate and the screw the
plate to the wall with Tapcon screws. Over engineered for sure but
that's half the fun.

One of the pros at rec.woodworking have probably already solved this
problem, try a post there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

good question, I am planning asimmilar project for next year and would
probably do something silliar.

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

bluetsilk wrote:
Have a brick fireplace. Also have your basic slab of exotic wood (7feet
by 18 inches, 2 inches thick) that I would like to place on this
fireplace as a mantle. Not sure how to hang it, but am sure want the
hanging to be invisible. Am thinking of drilling 4-5 half inch holes in
the mortar line, placing a metal rod along with epoxy in those holes,
making sure they are plumb and true. And long enough to stick out 8-10
inches. Then drilling matching holes ( maybe a wee bit larger) in the
wood slab. Then sliding it onto the rods with or without epoxy. That
should allow for a nice invisible installation. Anyone have suggestions
or shoot down commments? Or a better way?

The fireplace has a gas fireplace in it that is used infrequently, but
will be about 2 feet below where I envision the mantle.

thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

bluetsilk wrote:
Have a brick fireplace. Also have your basic slab of exotic wood (7feet
by 18 inches, 2 inches thick) that I would like to place on this
fireplace as a mantle. Not sure how to hang it, but am sure want the
hanging to be invisible. Am thinking of drilling 4-5 half inch holes in
the mortar line, placing a metal rod along with epoxy in those holes,
making sure they are plumb and true. And long enough to stick out 8-10
inches. Then drilling matching holes ( maybe a wee bit larger) in the
wood slab. Then sliding it onto the rods with or without epoxy. That
should allow for a nice invisible installation. Anyone have suggestions
or shoot down commments? Or a better way?

The fireplace has a gas fireplace in it that is used infrequently, but
will be about 2 feet below where I envision the mantle.

thanks.

Why don't you use some of the same, or similar, wood to make mounts for the
mantle, and lay it on top of them? I don't see that a flat board sticking
out from bricks would be all that attractive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Install the rods (all thread works well) in the wood. Bend the
rods as required to insure they are square and true - this should
not be necessary if you use care on the drilled holes. Drill
oversized holes in the masonry, install epoxy screens or
umbrellas, and epoxy. You will need to brace and carry the mantle
while the epoxy sets up. Here is what I use:
http://www.ramset-redhead.com/RH/rh_aas_intro.asp

I normally use C6.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"bluetsilk" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
Install the rods (all thread works well) in the wood. Bend the
rods as required to insure they are square and true - this should
not be necessary if you use care on the drilled holes. Drill
oversized holes in the masonry, install epoxy screens or
umbrellas, and epoxy. You will need to brace and carry the mantle
while the epoxy sets up. Here is what I use:
http://www.ramset-redhead.com/RH/rh_aas_intro.asp

Your technique sounds like a good and easy to execute plan except for
the all thread. The OP stated the wood is 18" wide. I think the all
thread would bend unless the fireplace had a smooth surface like brick
for the shelf to press against. Maybe some rebar if you can get it as
thin as the mortar joints, still bendable but not as flexible as all
thread. Maybe drilling the hole for the rods near the top of the shelf
so bottom portion could press against the wall preventing the rods from
bending. Overall good plan of attack.

shelf rod
_________________ /
---------------------------

_________________

(view in courier or other monospace font)

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have lost me completely. The board is the limiting factor,
OP stated it was 2" thick. Biggest all thread I would attempt
would be 1 1/4". 3/4 all thread would probably suffice just fine.
The stuff is available in many sizes and alloys ( the 2" and 4"
diameters would be difficult to use in his board):
http://coburnmyers.thomasnet.com/vie...rod?&forward=1
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
DanG wrote:
[...]

Flexible picture hanging system ??? RzB UK diy 16 August 6th 06 02:18 PM
Mantle from hell Mike O. Woodworking 3 April 1st 06 11:37 PM
Large hanging cabinet plans User Example Woodworking 0 August 22nd 05 10:09 PM
Hanging Ceiling Tiles choices [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 2nd 05 06:02 AM
fixeda Antique mantle clock jim Metalworking 3 January 31st 04 02:01 AM