DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   no hot water sometimes (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/175517-no-hot-water-sometimes.html)

[email protected] September 10th 06 09:31 PM

no hot water sometimes

seems to me that if i use hot water (i.e. run the washer/dishwasher)
after a few hours i can take a hot shower but if no one uses any hot
water for a while all i get is cold water...think its some easy fix or
do i have to get a new hot water heater btw using a 40Gal gas water
heater thats about 4 years old

Edwin Pawlowski September 10th 06 09:53 PM

no hot water sometimes

wrote in message
oups.com...
seems to me that if i use hot water (i.e. run the washer/dishwasher)
after a few hours i can take a hot shower but if no one uses any hot
water for a while all i get is cold water...think its some easy fix or
do i have to get a new hot water heater btw using a 40Gal gas water
heater thats about 4 years old

Could be the coal need stoking after a big use. Do you take the ash out
regularly?

It would be much easier to diagnose if we knew if the heater was gas,
electrric, oil, solar, coal, wood, or nuclear powered.

Chuck (in SC) September 10th 06 10:03 PM

no hot water sometimes

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:53:53 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
seems to me that if i use hot water (i.e. run the washer/dishwasher)
after a few hours i can take a hot shower but if no one uses any hot
water for a while all i get is cold water...think its some easy fix or
do i have to get a new hot water heater btw using a 40Gal gas water
heater thats about 4 years old

Could be the coal need stoking after a big use. Do you take the ash out
regularly?

It would be much easier to diagnose if we knew if the heater was gas,
electrric, oil, solar, coal, wood, or nuclear powered.

come on Edwin.. he said "40Gal gas water heater"

Eigenvector September 10th 06 10:16 PM

no hot water sometimes

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
seems to me that if i use hot water (i.e. run the washer/dishwasher)
after a few hours i can take a hot shower but if no one uses any hot
water for a while all i get is cold water...think its some easy fix or
do i have to get a new hot water heater btw using a 40Gal gas water
heater thats about 4 years old

Could be the coal need stoking after a big use. Do you take the ash out
regularly?

It would be much easier to diagnose if we knew if the heater was gas,
electrric, oil, solar, coal, wood, or nuclear powered.

As he indicated, 40 Gas gas water heater that is 4 years old

Edwin Pawlowski September 10th 06 10:50 PM

no hot water sometimes

"Chuck (in SC)" wrote in message

do i have to get a new hot water heater btw using a 40Gal gas water

come on Edwin.. he said "40Gal gas water heater"

Damn, I read that three times and didn't see it.

[email protected] September 10th 06 10:53 PM

no hot water sometimes

Hi,

1. do you also get central heating from your boiler or is it only for
hot water?

2. is it a fan assisted flew?

3. is the water running fast out of the hot tap equivalent two around
fourteen liters a minute?

4. When you turn the hot tap on does the boiler fire?

5. do you have a pilot light or an automatic ignition system?

6. do you have a immersion tank that is running off the mains
electric, generally you will find that in your airing cupboard?

[email protected] September 11th 06 12:35 AM

no hot water sometimes

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 18:56:46 -0400, wrote:

On 10 Sep 2006 13:31:33 -0700,
wrote:

seems to me that if i use hot water (i.e. run the washer/dishwasher)
after a few hours i can take a hot shower but if no one uses any hot
water for a while all i get is cold water...think its some easy fix or
do i have to get a new hot water heater btw using a 40Gal gas water
heater thats about 4 years old

If you don't have to manually intervene to get it going again I am
betting bad thermostat that eventually figures out the water is cold.

Another possibility is the dip tube is broken off/corroded away if it
is a top fed tank.
--
Mr.E

zero September 11th 06 12:50 AM

no hot water sometimes

wrote in message
oups.com...
seems to me that if i use hot water (i.e. run the washer/dishwasher)
after a few hours i can take a hot shower but if no one uses any hot
water for a while all i get is cold water..

How do you get the hot water going, after the water has turned cold?

-zero

Chuck (in SC) September 11th 06 02:03 AM

no hot water sometimes

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:50:46 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Chuck (in SC)" wrote in message
.. .

do i have to get a new hot water heater btw using a 40Gal gas water

come on Edwin.. he said "40Gal gas water heater"

Damn, I read that three times and didn't see it.

I know.. It's hell getting old.....oh how well I know..
Chuck

mm September 11th 06 02:11 AM

no hot water sometimes

On 10 Sep 2006 14:53:36 -0700, wrote:

6. do you have a immersion tank that is running off the mains
electric, generally you will find that in your airing cupboard?

I"m still looking for my airing cupboard. :) Is it in the dining
room?

[email protected] September 11th 06 02:38 AM

no hot water sometimes

try turning up the thermostat some, may fix it.

water temp after heavy use is always higher

[email protected] September 16th 06 02:54 AM

no hot water sometimes

Airing cupboards are generally found in bedrooms or hallway/ landing
but very rarely found in the dining room. Modern combination boilers do
not require an airing cupboard because they do not store hot water in a
cylinder, but comes from direct mains.