Junior Member

Default ceiling grime

Though the previous owners of our house had the air ducts cleaned roughly 3 yrs ago, I have that awful gray dust and dirt build-up around some of my air vents on my popcorn ceiling (yuk). Any suggestions on how to clean it?

THANKS!
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Allen wrote:
Though the previous owners of our house had the air ducts cleaned
roughly 3 yrs ago, I have that awful gray dust and dirt build-up
around some of my air vents on my popcorn ceiling (yuk). Any
suggestions on how to clean it?

THANKS!

My suggestion is to vacuum - brush as much off as possible and follow
that with new ceiling paint.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
J Allen wrote:
Though the previous owners of our house had the air ducts cleaned
roughly 3 yrs ago, I have that awful gray dust and dirt build-up
around some of my air vents on my popcorn ceiling (yuk). Any
suggestions on how to clean it?

THANKS!

My suggestion is to vacuum - brush as much off as possible and
follow that with new ceiling paint.

Also use a primer - dealer like Killit

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 15:52:31 +0100, J Allen
wrote:

Though the previous owners of our house had the air ducts cleaned
roughly 3 yrs ago, I have that awful gray dust and dirt build-up around
some of my air vents on my popcorn ceiling (yuk). Any suggestions on
how to clean it?

THANKS!

Dust can be introduced from the attic at or near the vent, pull the
vents and inspect. Maybe even the ducts are damaged.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Allen" wrote in message

Though the previous owners of our house had the air ducts cleaned
roughly 3 yrs ago, I have that awful gray dust and dirt build-up around
some of my air vents on my popcorn ceiling (yuk). Any suggestions on
how to clean it?

THANKS!

If the ceiling is painted, just dust it off and wipe it lightly with a damp
cloth where necessary. If it's not painted, scrape it off, stomp it, and
then paint it. I dislike popcorn ceilings.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Though the previous owners of our house had the air ducts cleaned
roughly 3 yrs ago, I have that awful gray dust and dirt build-up around
some of my air vents on my popcorn ceiling (yuk). Any suggestions on
how to clean it?

I let my oil furnace run without a tuneup for too long**, such that I
could smell oil when the furnace was running, and I got oil dirt (i
guess it is) by my ducts and on my ceilings where convection air
whorls made triangles of dirt with convex sides.

I was told to get an emulsifier at a a janitorial supply company (such
as Sterling Chemical) and I got a gallon and diluted some as the
instructions said, and so far it doesn't seem to be doing much.

I've only tried it on the inside of the bathroom door which is next to
a heating vent.

Maybe I should try it full-strength? Or is this not really going to
work at all?

I'm prepared to repaint, but not this week. The recommendation I got
said the oil would come right off with the emulsifier. So I'd like to
either avoid painting some places, or have it as clean as possible
when I do.

**I don't understand why having a partly clogged nozzle or badly
adjusted electrodes would lead to dirt in my heated air. There is a
metal separation between the fire box and the hot air box. Isn't that
supposed to keep the dirt out the heated air?

THANKS!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If soot comes out of the furnace, you have a leak in the heat exchanger.

This has two problems

1.Dirty air
2. Combustion byproducts - particularly carbon monoxide, are in the air
now. Not healthy and potentially life threatening.

Removing Hot Air from Vaulted Ceiling Todd Home Repair 21 July 19th 12 02:42 AM
Need Help With Insulating Ceiling Of Enclosed Porch Josh B. Home Repair 1 May 15th 06 11:40 AM
Insulating a drop ceiling... bremen68 Woodworking 5 May 7th 06 09:35 PM
Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Detecting Insulation in Ceiling and Walls Paul Home Repair 6 August 18th 03 05:59 PM