Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Code for below grade gas pipe

I have two questions relative to the international building code for buried
gas pipe:

1. Minimum depth?

2. What materials are acceptable? Is it OK to use galvanized pipe? (My
contractor is doing that and I am afraid of future gas leaks due to rust.)
What does the code say.

Many thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message
I have two questions relative to the international building code for buried
gas pipe:

1. Minimum depth?

2. What materials are acceptable? Is it OK to use galvanized pipe? (My
contractor is doing that and I am afraid of future gas leaks due to rust.)
What does the code say.

Many thanks.

Best person to ask is your local inspector. He has the final word.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

metal guarantees it will need replaced sooner or later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:
I have two questions relative to the international building code for buried
gas pipe:

1. Minimum depth?

2. What materials are acceptable? Is it OK to use galvanized pipe? (My
contractor is doing that and I am afraid of future gas leaks due to rust.)
What does the code say.

Many thanks.

It would be best to check in your own municipality or with your
permitting authority. Code can and does vary between jurisdictions.
Did your contractor pull a permit? If so, does it describe what
materials he is using?

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to alt.home.repair

2. What materials are acceptable? Is it OK to use galvanized pipe?
(My contractor is doing that and I am afraid of future gas leaks due
to rust.) What does the code say.

Here is whats required in Arizona..

Gas yard line must be scotch (green)coated for burial in the ground or
approved plastic with a minimum 18 AWG copper tracer wire.

We bought our ScotchCoated pipe at Naughtons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A couple of years ago, here in the Atlanta area I added a pool heater. The
local gas company advised I would need a bigger gas meter. The supply line
from the meter to the heater could be PVC underground but where exposed,
should be black pipe. PVC for gas usage is yellow, as I remember, but no
restriction on burial depth, unlike for coffins, water lines, etc.
wrote in message
I have two questions relative to the international building code for buried
gas pipe:

1. Minimum depth?

2. What materials are acceptable? Is it OK to use galvanized pipe? (My
contractor is doing that and I am afraid of future gas leaks due to rust.)
What does the code say.

Many thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

Craven Morehead wrote:
A couple of years ago, here in the Atlanta area I added a pool heater. The
local gas company advised I would need a bigger gas meter. The supply line
from the meter to the heater could be PVC underground but where exposed,
should be black pipe. PVC for gas usage is yellow, as I remember, but no
restriction on burial depth, unlike for coffins, water lines, etc.

I decided not to bother with a permit when I buried my bodies, but 6 ft
is still a good idea; dogs, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeatMan wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
metal guarantees it will need replaced sooner or later.

Not always.

Properly installed, there is a pipe out there that comes pre-tarred for
underground applications. You also need the 'tar-tape' for the fittings.

metal always rusts given enough years.

plastic line appears to last forever...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sev" wrote in
oups.com:

Craven Morehead wrote:
A couple of years ago, here in the Atlanta area I added a pool
heater. The local gas company advised I would need a bigger gas
meter. The supply line from the meter to the heater could be PVC
underground but where exposed, should be black pipe. PVC for gas
usage is yellow, as I remember, but no restriction on burial depth,
unlike for coffins, water lines, etc.

I decided not to bother with a permit when I buried my bodies, but 6
ft is still a good idea; dogs, etc.

but 6 ft is still a good idea; dogs, etc.

Drywall buckets. Less work.