DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dryer receptacle worries (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/174858-dryer-receptacle-worries.html)

[email protected] September 4th 06 07:52 PM

Dryer receptacle worries

Hi just bought new home 1 1/2 years now. I recently was considering new
dryer but now am concerned the 220 volt dryer receptacle is sitting 3/4
inches off the floor it is actually cut into the baseboard. Is this ok
or should I be contacting my builder. I am worried any flooding or
overflow from my washer would surely seep into the receptacle.

Is this a hazzard and is there any reference to code requirements for
height. My friends house has receptacle over 20 inches from the floor
this seems much more safer.

I also have no air flow coming out of one of my bedroom vents, is there
something that can turn this on or off!

Do I have a real problem or is this common.

Jeff

RBM September 4th 06 08:18 PM

Dryer receptacle worries

Your dryer outlet is fine. If for some reason water starts pouring onto it,
I would recommend turning off the water. Some vents have a lever in them
that will control the air flow. Sometimes the duct attaching to the vent (in
the attic) has a control lever on it. Some vents are returns, from which air
goes back into the system

ups.com...

[email protected] September 4th 06 09:02 PM

Dryer receptacle worries

thanks for the reply I understand I can turn the water off but if it
overflows before I discover it in a very short time it will reach the
height of the receptacle and my fear is it will cause a major
electrical issue or possibly become dangerous.

Jeff

RBM (remove this) wrote:
Your dryer outlet is fine. If for some reason water starts pouring onto it,
I would recommend turning off the water. Some vents have a lever in them
that will control the air flow. Sometimes the duct attaching to the vent (in
the attic) has a control lever on it. Some vents are returns, from which air
goes back into the system

ups.com...

Pete C. September 4th 06 10:05 PM

Dryer receptacle worries

wrote:

thanks for the reply I understand I can turn the water off but if it
overflows before I discover it in a very short time it will reach the
height of the receptacle and my fear is it will cause a major
electrical issue or possibly become dangerous.

Jeff

Is this in a basement where water can actually build up? If it's on an
upper floor which is implied by the low mounting height and baseboard
then it's very unlikely you could get an accumulation of water that high
anyway as it would flow under doors and down through floors. If it is on
an upper floor you might want to get one of the inexpensive plastic
washer pans and plumb it into the drain so if there is a washer leak /
overflow the water will not destroy your house.

Pete C.

Toller September 4th 06 11:21 PM

Dryer receptacle worries

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi just bought new home 1 1/2 years now. I recently was considering new
dryer but now am concerned the 220 volt dryer receptacle is sitting 3/4
inches off the floor it is actually cut into the baseboard. Is this ok
or should I be contacting my builder. I am worried any flooding or
overflow from my washer would surely seep into the receptacle.

I wouldn't worry about water; the worst it could do is short out the
circuit. I can't see it being either a fire or electrical hazzard.
Does the electrical box have a cover over it under the molding? That is
necessary for fire safety.

[email protected] September 5th 06 12:06 AM

Dryer receptacle worries

I recommend everyone who has a washer adds a auto shut off valve for
the water lines, it autoimaticallt turns the water off unless the
washer is runing.

can save a flood