Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer receptacle worries

Hi just bought new home 1 1/2 years now. I recently was considering new
dryer but now am concerned the 220 volt dryer receptacle is sitting 3/4
inches off the floor it is actually cut into the baseboard. Is this ok
or should I be contacting my builder. I am worried any flooding or
overflow from my washer would surely seep into the receptacle.

Is this a hazzard and is there any reference to code requirements for
height. My friends house has receptacle over 20 inches from the floor
this seems much more safer.

I also have no air flow coming out of one of my bedroom vents, is there
something that can turn this on or off!

Do I have a real problem or is this common.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Your dryer outlet is fine. If for some reason water starts pouring onto it,
I would recommend turning off the water. Some vents have a lever in them
that will control the air flow. Sometimes the duct attaching to the vent (in
the attic) has a control lever on it. Some vents are returns, from which air
goes back into the system

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi just bought new home 1 1/2 years now. I recently was considering new
dryer but now am concerned the 220 volt dryer receptacle is sitting 3/4
inches off the floor it is actually cut into the baseboard. Is this ok
or should I be contacting my builder. I am worried any flooding or
overflow from my washer would surely seep into the receptacle.

Is this a hazzard and is there any reference to code requirements for
height. My friends house has receptacle over 20 inches from the floor
this seems much more safer.

I also have no air flow coming out of one of my bedroom vents, is there
something that can turn this on or off!

Do I have a real problem or is this common.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks for the reply I understand I can turn the water off but if it
overflows before I discover it in a very short time it will reach the
height of the receptacle and my fear is it will cause a major
electrical issue or possibly become dangerous.

Jeff

RBM (remove this) wrote:
Your dryer outlet is fine. If for some reason water starts pouring onto it,
I would recommend turning off the water. Some vents have a lever in them
that will control the air flow. Sometimes the duct attaching to the vent (in
the attic) has a control lever on it. Some vents are returns, from which air
goes back into the system

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi just bought new home 1 1/2 years now. I recently was considering new
dryer but now am concerned the 220 volt dryer receptacle is sitting 3/4
inches off the floor it is actually cut into the baseboard. Is this ok
or should I be contacting my builder. I am worried any flooding or
overflow from my washer would surely seep into the receptacle.

Is this a hazzard and is there any reference to code requirements for
height. My friends house has receptacle over 20 inches from the floor
this seems much more safer.

I also have no air flow coming out of one of my bedroom vents, is there
something that can turn this on or off!

Do I have a real problem or is this common.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi just bought new home 1 1/2 years now. I recently was considering new
dryer but now am concerned the 220 volt dryer receptacle is sitting 3/4
inches off the floor it is actually cut into the baseboard. Is this ok
or should I be contacting my builder. I am worried any flooding or
overflow from my washer would surely seep into the receptacle.

I wouldn't worry about water; the worst it could do is short out the
circuit. I can't see it being either a fire or electrical hazzard.
Does the electrical box have a cover over it under the molding? That is
necessary for fire safety.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I recommend everyone who has a washer adds a auto shut off valve for
the water lines, it autoimaticallt turns the water off unless the
washer is runing.

can save a flood