Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood floors vs. latex-backed rugs?

Most of what I've read about wood floors has discouraged using rugs
with latex backing. How is one supposed to keep throw rugs and area
carpets in place without latex backing or pads? Is it really that bad
for the floor? (I suspect it might be, as there is an area near the
dining room door in my house that looks as though a latex-backed throw
rug was used and stuck to the floor at some point.)

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
" wrote:

Most of what I've read about wood floors has discouraged using rugs
with latex backing. How is one supposed to keep throw rugs and area
carpets in place without latex backing or pads?

Nails?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:24:29 -0700, Nick Hull wrote:

In article .com,
" wrote:

Most of what I've read about wood floors has discouraged using rugs
with latex backing. How is one supposed to keep throw rugs and area
carpets in place without latex backing or pads?

Nails?

Since the area with the rugs is covered by the rug, why do you
you care if the non-skid backing marks the finish? It won't
hurt the wood any, and you'll need to re-finish the floor
if you permanantly remove the rug, because of differences in
fading anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Most of what I've read about wood floors has discouraged using rugs
with latex backing. How is one supposed to keep throw rugs and area
carpets in place without latex backing or pads? Is it really that bad
for the floor? (I suspect it might be, as there is an area near the
dining room door in my house that looks as though a latex-backed throw
rug was used and stuck to the floor at some point.)

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann

You can buy rug pads that go under the rug that are not latex backed.
We've done this in a number of places over saltillo tile and wood with no
issues yet.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goedjn" wrote in message

Since the area with the rugs is covered by the rug, why do you
you care if the non-skid backing marks the finish? It won't
hurt the wood any, and you'll need to re-finish the floor
if you permanantly remove the rug, because of differences in
fading anyway.

Some latex backed rugs would leave marks and stick to certain finishes. If
you were to simply re-arrange the furniture, it would look like crap. I
have a couple of rugs in my family room and there is no reason to re-finish
anything as the furniture is moved, nor has the floor faded in some areas,
at least not after four years so far. Most of the room is open floor, rugs
are only at hte door and in front of cone chair and sofa.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Exactly! This is essentially how I want to use the rugs, too. Do you
know what kind of latex (or non-latex backing) I could look for that
would prevent the marks?

Jo Ann

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Some latex backed rugs would leave marks and stick to certain finishes. If
you were to simply re-arrange the furniture, it would look like crap. I
have a couple of rugs in my family room and there is no reason to re-finish
anything as the furniture is moved, nor has the floor faded in some areas,
at least not after four years so far. Most of the room is open floor, rugs
are only at hte door and in front of cone chair and sofa.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
Exactly! This is essentially how I want to use the rugs, too. Do you
know what kind of latex (or non-latex backing) I could look for that
would prevent the marks?

Can't say for sure. I just looked at the rug in front of my recliner. It
has a rubber back of some sort and it in good condition and no marks. There
is no label to ID it though.