Posted to alt.home.repair

Default MDF vs. OSB for Subfloor

Greetings Group,

My buddy is rehabing an old farm house and is having some flooring replaced.
He's got a quote on the work where he has the option of either MDF or OSB
for the subflooring and was wondering which would be better. I did a little
Googling and see both mentioned as used for this, but I personally thought
the OSB would be more appropriate. I'd generally heard of MDF as for
cabinets and such, and didn't think if it as having the kind of strength
needed for a load-bearing application like a floor.

Thought I'd run the issue past the group to see if there was any experience
(good or bad) with either.

Thanks!

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mdf is what you use if you are leaving and don't care if a leak happens
and the entire house melts and runs down the gutter.