Posted to alt.home.repair

Default door lock

The lock has a key to open it from the exterior and a thumbturn to lock it
from the interior. Isn't the thumbturn supposed to be at the twelve oclock
position (straight up and down) when unlocked and in the across position
when locked? This one is the opposite of that. How do you change it around
so the thumbturn is in the proper position.
Patt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your door is upside down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Patt wrote:

The lock has a key to open it from the exterior and a thumbturn to lock it
from the interior. Isn't the thumbturn supposed to be at the twelve oclock
position (straight up and down) when unlocked and in the across position
when locked? This one is the opposite of that. How do you change it around
so the thumbturn is in the proper position.
Patt

The first thing I'd try is removing the two screws on the inside knob's
bezel, pulling the knob assembly off and seeing if you can rotate the
thumbturn 90 degrees while the knob is off and still permit the knob
slide back into place again.

That worked on my front door lock when I installed it and found the
turnbutton position didn't "bar the door" when it should.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:36:48 -0500, (m Ransley)
wrote:

Your door is upside down.

No, no, no. He's supposed to stand on his head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Patt wrote:

The lock has a key to open it from the exterior and a thumbturn to lock it
from the interior. Isn't the thumbturn supposed to be at the twelve oclock
position (straight up and down) when unlocked and in the across position
when locked? This one is the opposite of that. How do you change it around
so the thumbturn is in the proper position.

Rotate the door 90 degrees.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

All the Kwikset I've worked on are up and down for locked. Not sure
it's changable. Some of the cheap taiwan deadbolts, you can remove
the two screws in the back, turn the knob quarter turn and put it all
back together.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Patt" wrote in message
The lock has a key to open it from the exterior and a thumbturn to
lock it
from the interior. Isn't the thumbturn supposed to be at the twelve
oclock
position (straight up and down) when unlocked and in the across
position
when locked? This one is the opposite of that. How do you change it
around
so the thumbturn is in the proper position.
Patt

Posted to alt.home.repair

90 degrees. Have to lay on your side. Don't you know that?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.