Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 27yr old GE fridge sometimes works and sometimes doesnt

I have a 27 year old side by side GE refrigerator.

Recently it stopped working. The fan still works, but the refrigerator
part is not cool at all, and the freezer is only as cold as a
refrigerator. But if I unplug it, and leave it off for a few days, then
it starts working again for a few days. There was a light green liquid
on the floor under the fridge, but it might have come from something
that spilled.
I know the best thing would be to replace the fridge, but my mom LOVES
this fridge (why I dont know), and she wants to keep it.

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 27 year old side by side GE refrigerator.

But if I unplug it, and leave it off for a few days, then
it starts working again for a few days. There was a light green liquid
on the floor under the fridge, but it might have come from something
that spilled.
I know the best thing would be to replace the fridge, but my mom LOVES
this fridge (why I dont know), and she wants to keep it.

Thank you.

The coil is freezing up. Could be the evaporator fan or the defrost cycle
not working. The liquid is probably a mix of spills and mold.

If you replace it, the new one will probably save $15 a month in
electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where is Jeff the appliance aid guy? He oughta have posted the link to
his web page on defrost problems.

I'm with Ed. Sounds like you have a defrost problem. Wish I was there,
I can fix a lot of refrig problems. BTW, where are you?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message