Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default pvc pipe cement dilemma

OK, can anyone explain why Home Depot has like 7 different kinds of PVC
pipe cement, all made by the same company, without a good explanation
of what the differences are? TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

To the best of my knowledge, clear is used for PVC electrical conduit and
central vacuum lines, grey is used for underground PVC sewer pipes, and
since we do not use PVC here for drain, waste and vent lines, it or possibly
another flavor of cement may be used for them in areas that mandate PVC DWV
piping. I think they all work in a similar manner.

"z" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, can anyone explain why Home Depot has like 7 different kinds of PVC
pipe cement, all made by the same company, without a good explanation
of what the differences are? TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:
OK, can anyone explain why Home Depot has like 7 different kinds of PVC
pipe cement, all made by the same company, without a good explanation
of what the differences are? TIA.

Seven? Did you count them all? The different cements are for the
different types of plastic pipe: PVC, CPVC, or ABS. There are also
primer/cleaners; and some cements are multipurpose. You have to use the
right cement for the type of plastic pipe you are using. Cement for ABS
does not hold well under pressure when used on PVC.

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:
OK, can anyone explain why Home Depot has like 7 different kinds of
PVC pipe cement, all made by the same company, without a good
explanation of what the differences are? TIA.

Because not even the largest stores can carry everything!

There are at least twenty different pipe cements.

You can probably special-order the one you want.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

DT wrote:

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/sh...ctg=1&subctg=1

Ah, pretty useful. thanks. I might print this out and sneak it into the
HD and pin it to the wall'o'cements if it doesn't violate their
'confuse the customer' policy.

--
Dennis