Posted to alt.home.repair

Default power vents to passive turbins

what's the simpest way to convert powered roof/vents to passive turbins?

currently the powered vents (5 blades with thermostat and humidistat sensors) are much
larger opening than the passive turbins and I have to reduce the opening to fit the
turbins. this is also for a barrel tile roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
what's the simpest way to convert powered roof/vents to passive turbins?

currently the powered vents (5 blades with thermostat and humidistat sensors) are much
larger opening than the passive turbins and I have to reduce the opening to fit the
turbins. this is also for a barrel tile roof.

Why would you want to do such a thing. leave well enough alone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

turbines dont do anything without wind

higher overall energy bills and possibly moisture trobles in attic will
result.......

very bad idea, and probable home inspection issue atr resale.

besides the cost of patching your tile roof, anything you do will be
either costly or obvious or both

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 18 Aug 2006 05:18:43 -0700, "Lawrence"
wrote:

Jack wrote:
what's the simpest way to convert powered roof/vents to passive turbins?

currently the powered vents (5 blades with thermostat and humidistat sensors) are much
larger opening than the passive turbins and I have to reduce the opening to fit the
turbins. this is also for a barrel tile roof.

Why would you want to do such a thing. leave well enough alone.

I love my power vent, and I had the house before there was one. Much
hotter then, even with full width soffitss front and back and full
width ridge rail.

One has to clean the soffit screens occasionally, at least every 10
years, or the air can't get in. This year I could actually see loads
of white stringy stuff floating in the air, and plenty of it ended up
on/under my soffit screens. 10 years ago I could just peel it off
like lint of f a dryer lint filter, but this time that didn't work,
and I needed to use a brass bristle lint brush meant for my good suit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Turbines work on convection where hot air rises and turn the head,
wind isn't required. The roofer that installed ours in the garage had
his hair raising when he cut through the roof to install it. Garage
temp went from 10° above outsdide slab to 10° below with turbine.