Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WTB door knob catch recessed in wall

I am looking for an item that doubles as door catch / wall protector.
It is a plastic cup recessed into the wall with rubber/plastic
"fingers", like the mouth of a garbage disposal, that both protects the
knob from marring the wall as well as holding the door open an extra few
inches closer to the wall.

I've been to hardware stores, Borgs, millwork shops, Rockler, and
Googled ad nauseum to no avail. I am sure I saw such an animal
somewhere, although from the blank looks I am getting at stores, I am
beginning to fear I hallucinated it. Or maybe I just invented it?
Yeah...that's the ticket...

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KaiS. wrote:
I am looking for an item that doubles as door catch / wall protector. It
is a plastic cup recessed into the wall with rubber/plastic "fingers",
like the mouth of a garbage disposal, that both protects the knob from
marring the wall as well as holding the door open an extra few inches
closer to the wall.

I've been to hardware stores, Borgs, millwork shops, Rockler, and
Googled ad nauseum to no avail. I am sure I saw such an animal
somewhere, although from the blank looks I am getting at stores, I am
beginning to fear I hallucinated it. Or maybe I just invented it?
Yeah...that's the ticket...

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've not seen one which grabs the knob, but I had a problem with the
heavy door to my office not staying open because the frame was out of
kilter in a direction which made gravity move the door about 3/4 of the
way shut.

I solved the problem with a baseboard mounted door catch, here's a
couple of examples:

http://www.vandykes.com/product/02005430/

The one I got was a brown plastic version of that and cost about $3. I
bought it at our neighborhood locksmith's place.

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalo...hp?p_ref=10333

If you mount one of those gadgets in the right location it'll keep the
doorknob from hitting the wall unless someone really gives it a shove.
But, you can always use a regular doorknob wall protector to solve that.

HYH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
H H is offline

Another possibility is a magnetic door stop

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...ct=249412GLDzz

Good luck,

"KaiS." wrote in message
m...
I am looking for an item that doubles as door catch / wall protector. It is
a plastic cup recessed into the wall with rubber/plastic "fingers", like
the mouth of a garbage disposal, that both protects the knob from marring
the wall as well as holding the door open an extra few inches closer to the
wall.

I've been to hardware stores, Borgs, millwork shops, Rockler, and Googled
ad nauseum to no avail. I am sure I saw such an animal somewhere,
although from the blank looks I am getting at stores, I am beginning to
fear I hallucinated it. Or maybe I just invented it? Yeah...that's the
ticket...

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
KaiS. wrote:
[...]

He didn't say he wanted a door to stay open. He may have some other use in
mind for the item, such as, er, ah... penis extender.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KaiS. wrote:
I am looking for an item that doubles as door catch / wall protector. It
is a plastic cup recessed into the wall with rubber/plastic "fingers",
like the mouth of a garbage disposal, that both protects the knob from
marring the wall as well as holding the door open an extra few inches
closer to the wall.

I've been to hardware stores, Borgs, millwork shops, Rockler, and
Googled ad nauseum to no avail. I am sure I saw such an animal
somewhere, although from the blank looks I am getting at stores, I am
beginning to fear I hallucinated it. Or maybe I just invented it?
Yeah...that's the ticket...

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I appreciate the sites, but I am in fact seeking something that catches
the doorknob itself after the knob penetrates the plane of the wall.

The door I'm dealing with is at the top of a basement stairs, installed
so the newly mobile grandson doesn't take a header down to the pool
table. As the door had to be on the side opposite the hand rail, I am
trying to minimize its obtrusion into the path of any shoulders
ascending the stairway.

Failing that, the Van Dykes device suggested by Jeff W. may be the way
to go in combination with a knob recess cut and finished into the
drywall. Looks like it has a low profile / tight clearance. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to KaiS., Johnson wrote:
Wall Guard wall repair door knob damage fix repair
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wall-Guard-...-/111460952563

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-137409-.htm