Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC fan vs low freon

Living along the hot Gulf Coast we need good AC.The upstairs unit in my 1995
house had to be recharged in 2003 by AC Guy (AG) and a few weeks later the
downstairs unit fan wouldn't turn on even when the thermostat batteries were
replaced. AG said that the fan was burnt out and replaced it and all was
well.A few weeks ago the upstairs fan would go from blowing vigorously to a
puny exhaust.I would turn it off and in a few hours on restart it was as
strong as ever for a while and then revert to puny state.AG came out and
felt the motor which was hot (17 hours of continuous running) and said I
needed a new motor.I had to go out of town so i postponed it...and upon
further reflection called home and had my wife turn both units on .The 4
hour rest produced
a strong blast from the upstairs unit which is measuring 81-83 in various
ducts and the downstairs one is 50-53 in various ducts.AG hadn't measured
duct exhaut temp.
I suspect that because the lower one doesn't blow cold that it runs too
long,overheats and then can't push hard.AG has been contacted,refuses to
only recharge with freon and insists a new motor is needed

Thanks for your feedback

Hal

Posted to alt.home.repair

These are central HVAC units,not window units
Hal

Posted to alt.home.repair

hankus wrote:

These are central HVAC units,not window units. Hal

If you let it get extremely hot in the conditioned space, ducts in attic
NOT properly insulated etc., you will end up with high discharge air temps.
(In the low 80's is a bit far out unless it is 96 in the conditioned
space!)

Perhaps the A/C Guy bought a new motor for it, & does not want wait long
to resell it.
(I shouldn't say that)

Get a different A/C Guy, - get an A/C Tech this time! - udarrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

You sound like time to get a new AG, if your AG is diagnosing over the
telephone. Having some experience with phone diagnosis, it's nearly
impossible. I have people call me and tell me the system needs this or
that, and it turns out that the problem is something totally
different. So, a new AG coming out to the house, the NAG may encourage
you to Fix All Repairable Things. You however, need to be Seriously
Thinking In New Knowledge.

It would be a mistake to let the NAG force you to FART, if instead you
should STINK. KWIM?

More seriously, get another AC tech over, you need second opinion.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"hankus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

The ducts are well insulated and now that it is 91 on the second floor, the
attic which has a ridge vent, is only 99

--
Thanks
Hal

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:01:58 -0500, "hankus" wrote:

The ducts are well insulated and now that it is 91 on the second floor, the
attic which has a ridge vent, is only 99

You have low freon and the coil is icing up, thus the low air flow
after it ices up.