Posted to alt.home.repair

Default prep for xypex application question

question is in caps below:

realizing that waterproofing can be tricky i wasn't going to trust
myself to diagnos the troubles in my basement. didn't want to remodel
and find out during rainy season i was wrong. so i called in a company
here in the San Francisco Bay area to consult. This company only does
waterproofing. They recommended xypex concentrate for my problem. (I'm
on a hill with part of the basement below grade. I have some seepage
and moisture in the rainy months. the runoff is good around the house,
but apparently hydrostatic pressure is forcing water up through the
holes left from forms. yes, they didn't fill these and they go right
down into earth)

$800 in consulting fees later, i'm now in the prep stage. xypex
requires a porous surface free of non-concrete materials. apparently it
seeps into the porous exposed concrete and forms crystals.
unfortunately i discovered that parts of the 18" foundation wall were
covered with plaster.

ITS SEEMS I NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO REMOVE THE PLASTER FROM THE ROUGH
CEMENT. IT HAS PLENTY OF LITTLE CAVITIES. ITS ABOUT 60 SQ FT. ANY
IDEAS?

i've thought about sandblasters (until i started reading about the
dangers) and grinding wheels with wire brush attachments.

much thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Porro Email List wrote:
[...]

Assuming the plaster was simply screed onto the unfinished concrete
wall, it may be possible to bash it with a hammer and use a hammer and
putty knife to remove it from the wall. When the bulk is removed brush
down the wall, and vacuum it .

Pressure wash or sand blast to provide a very clean surface.

I assume you have somehow plugged the holes left from the forms. If
thats where the water was coming in then thats what has to be sealed.
Depending on the size a hydrostatic cement might be appropriate. Thats
a type of cement which expands when it dries.

I would call a cement contractor for a quote.

Posted to alt.home.repair

that's what i was kinda afraid of. maybe i can do a sandblaster, but
the pressure washer seem impossible. i've used one before and i'd need
a pump to remove the water from the basement afterwards. not to mention
all the drywall that would be warped.

i'm going to put my faith in this consultant. all they do is
waterproofing, they are well known in this area, and my first
contractor recommended them. i can't see bringing in a concrete guy for
maybe 8 holes that are less are about 1/2" diameter.