Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Connect PVC to Orangeburg ?

I have 4" Orangeburg pipe (circa 1968) to which I need to connect a
piece 4" PVC. Are the dimensions for the Orangeburg and PVC the same or
is there some kind of reducer required?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Replace the Orangeburg you are only postponing problems - but first a
question - are you calling orange terracotta pipe Orangeburg?? In my
area Orangeburg pipe is best described as rolled up roofing with roofing
cement applied prior to rolling so the whole mess sticks together -- for
a few years......
"njoracle" wrote in message
I have 4" Orangeburg pipe (circa 1968) to which I need to connect a
piece 4" PVC. Are the dimensions for the Orangeburg and PVC the same or
is there some kind of reducer required?

Posted to alt.home.repair

njoracle wrote:

I have 4" Orangeburg pipe (circa 1968) to which I need to connect a
piece 4" PVC. Are the dimensions for the Orangeburg and PVC the same or
is there some kind of reducer required?

Orangeburg is about 4.64" OD and sch 40 PVC is 4.5",
while sch 35 (SDR) PVC is 4.21"

Mission couplings are most often used for underground connections:
http://www.missionrubber.com/

And Fernco makes a similar line:
http://www.fernco.com/1051.asp

You may need to go to a bldg supply house, rather than Big Box.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not replacing the Orangeburg. I'm just adding a tee to the outlet
side of a septic tank. The tee will be made of PVC and connect to the
Orangeburg which goes to the septic distribution box as shown below:

__Cap__
! !
! !
! !~~~~_________________------|
----- scum level ------ ! PVC Orangeburg D |
! _________________ Box |
----- water level ------ ! !~~~~ ------|
! !
! !
! !

Technically the description of the Orangeburg is "Bituminous Fiber Pipe"
as shown in this pictu

http://www.sewerhistory.org/articles...orangeburg.gif

"njoracle" wrote in message
I have 4" Orangeburg pipe (circa 1968) to which I need to connect a
piece 4" PVC. Are the dimensions for the Orangeburg and PVC the same or
is there some kind of reducer required?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
njoracle wrote:

I have 4" Orangeburg pipe (circa 1968) to which I need to connect a
piece 4" PVC. Are the dimensions for the Orangeburg and PVC the same
or is there some kind of reducer required?

Orangeburg is about 4.64" OD and sch 40 PVC is 4.5",
while sch 35 (SDR) PVC is 4.21"

Mission couplings are most often used for underground connections:
http://www.missionrubber.com/

And Fernco makes a similar line:
http://www.fernco.com/1051.asp

You may need to go to a bldg supply house, rather than Big Box.

Jim

Thanks. I have a good plumbing supply house in the area so I'll check
with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I crushed my Orangeburg connection to the septic tank by driving a lawn
cart full of rocks back and forth over it. Once I figured out that was
the cause of my backup problems, I dug it up and dropped in some
over-size PVC. Some concrete covered the junctions. No problems in
about 5 years.