Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C installation -- Refrigerant pressure gauge

We are going to have A/C installed. I am thinkig that maybe I should
ask our HVAC company to install a pressure gauge in the refrigerant
system, would it be beneficial in the long run? Is that ever done?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus29895" wrote in message
.. .
We are going to have A/C installed. I am thinkig that maybe I should
ask our HVAC company to install a pressure gauge in the refrigerant
system, would it be beneficial in the long run? Is that ever done?

Why? Do you know what you'll be looking at? I'd make sure the unit has
high and low pressure switches.

Your pressure gauge would only be another place for a potential leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 13:53:42 GMT, Ignoramus29895
wrote:

We are going to have A/C installed. I am thinkig that maybe I should
ask our HVAC company to install a pressure gauge in the refrigerant
system, would it be beneficial in the long run? Is that ever done?

IMHO,

Just sounds like something else to break, and leak. Not worth the
cost to install, any gauge able to be accurate under harsh outdoor
conditions, cycling pressures could be expensive, and why?

I mean, it the AC works, you know. If it doesn't reguardless of what
the gage reads, you need a technician to look at it. He will not use
the istalled one, he'll use his calibrated manifold instead.

So, save your money.

later,

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't see any reason to install a gauge. As others have said it
is of questionable value.

You may be interested in a sight gauge. It is a glass "window" in
the line. If you are seeing bubbles, it is time to call a
technician.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Ignoramus29895" wrote in
message .. .
We are going to have A/C installed. I am thinkig that maybe I
should
ask our HVAC company to install a pressure gauge in the
refrigerant
system, would it be beneficial in the long run? Is that ever
done?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 10:54:09 -0400, HeatMan wrote:

"Ignoramus29895" wrote in message
.. .
We are going to have A/C installed. I am thinkig that maybe I should
ask our HVAC company to install a pressure gauge in the refrigerant
system, would it be beneficial in the long run? Is that ever done?

Why? Do you know what you'll be looking at? I'd make sure the unit has
high and low pressure switches.

I agree on the pressure switches.

Your pressure gauge would only be another place for a potential leak.

Are there any well made ones?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
I don't see any reason to install a gauge. As others have said it
is of questionable value.

You may be interested in a sight gauge. It is a glass "window" in
the line. If you are seeing bubbles, it is time to call a
technician.

Well.....

If your system has a TXV, you may see bubbles and the refrigerant charge be
perfect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Ignoramus29895" wrote in message
.. .
We are going to have A/C installed. I am thinkig that maybe I should
ask our HVAC company to install a pressure gauge in the refrigerant
system, would it be beneficial in the long run? Is that ever done?

Why? Do you know what you'll be looking at? I'd make sure the unit has
high and low pressure switches.

I agree on the pressure switches.

Your pressure gauge would only be another place for a potential leak.

Are there any well made ones?

Well made leaks? Or well made gauges?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Ignoramus29895" wrote in message
.. .
We are going to have A/C installed. I am thinkig that maybe I should
ask our HVAC company to install a pressure gauge in the refrigerant
system, would it be beneficial in the long run? Is that ever done?

Why? Do you know what you'll be looking at? I'd make sure the unit has
high and low pressure switches.

I agree on the pressure switches.

Your pressure gauge would only be another place for a potential leak.

Are there any well made ones?

Well made leaks? Or well made gauges?

Are there any well made gauges?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Ignoramus29895" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 10:54:09 -0400, HeatMan

wrote:

"Ignoramus29895" wrote in

message
.. .
We are going to have A/C installed. I am thinkig that maybe I should
ask our HVAC company to install a pressure gauge in the refrigerant
system, would it be beneficial in the long run? Is that ever done?

Why? Do you know what you'll be looking at? I'd make sure the unit

has
high and low pressure switches.

I agree on the pressure switches.

Your pressure gauge would only be another place for a potential leak.

Are there any well made ones?

Well made leaks? Or well made gauges?

Are there any well made gauges?

A gauge is a gauge. I like my particular brand and some one else won't.

I still don't see the reason you're asking all this...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeatMan" wrote in message
A gauge is a gauge. I like my particular brand and some one else won't.

I still don't see the reason you're asking all this...

Simple. He thinks he can monitor a gauge and now if his system is operating
properly. Sort of like a check on the air pressure in your tires.