Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Commercial bathroom walls

Small office building is fitted out with metal studs and that "cardboard
panel" (1/2"? thick) wall material. Ceilings are all 2x4 acoustic tiles.

The bathroom in a small office building uses some kind of thin (3/16"?)
plastic material for the walls.

Can you help me identify this material? Is there such a material commonly
used for this purpose?

This is in USA.

Thanks,
--
John English

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

John E. wrote:
Small office building is fitted out with metal studs and that "cardboard
panel" (1/2"? thick) wall material. Ceilings are all 2x4 acoustic tiles.

The bathroom in a small office building uses some kind of thin (3/16"?)
plastic material for the walls.

Can you help me identify this material? Is there such a material commonly
used for this purpose?

Don't know what they call that stuff but I have seen it. they also use
it in dairy barns and is probably required in both cases. they have
it at the borg. it is a type of paneling.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

In a previous post John E. wrote...
Small office building is fitted out with metal studs and that "cardboard
panel" (1/2"? thick) wall material. Ceilings are all 2x4 acoustic tiles.

The bathroom in a small office building uses some kind of thin (3/16"?)
plastic material for the walls.

Can you help me identify this material? Is there such a material commonly
used for this purpose?

Generically it's called FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic) paneling.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
pbs pbs is offline

I believe that it is called "FRP", which IIRC is Fiberglass Reinforced
Panel.

Google 'frp panel' lots of results

John E. wrote:
Small office building is fitted out with metal studs and that "cardboard
panel" (1/2"? thick) wall material. Ceilings are all 2x4 acoustic tiles.

The bathroom in a small office building uses some kind of thin (3/16"?)
plastic material for the walls.

Can you help me identify this material? Is there such a material commonly
used for this purpose?

This is in USA.

Thanks,
--
John English

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Google 'frp panel' lots of results

Thanks, guys. I didn't know where to start. Kinda' hard to google if ya'
don't know the terms...

Thanks again,
--
John English

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

FRP should be available at any commercial drywall supply house,
good lumber yards, and some box stores. Typically stocked in
limited colors (white and almond) and stocked as 4x8 and 4x10.
Trim pieces include cap strip, H mold, and inside and outside
corners.

There are many more colors available, but take some time to get.
It is also available bonded to plywood, wafer board, drywall,
rigid foam, etc.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"John E." wrote in message
news.net...
Small office building is fitted out with metal studs and that
"cardboard
panel" (1/2"? thick) wall material. Ceilings are all 2x4
acoustic tiles.

The bathroom in a small office building uses some kind of thin
(3/16"?)
plastic material for the walls.

Can you help me identify this material? Is there such a material
commonly
used for this purpose?

This is in USA.

Thanks,
--
John English

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Thus spake DanG:

FRP should be available at any commercial drywall supply house,
good lumber yards, and some box stores. Typically stocked in
limited colors (white and almond) and stocked as 4x8 and 4x10.
Trim pieces include cap strip, H mold, and inside and outside
corners.

-=-=-=-

How is it attached to the studs? A cursory look showed no screws on the
outside surface.

Adhesive?

Thanks,
--
John English

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
pbs pbs is offline

Yes, adhesive. At least one I know of specifically for FRP is by
Liquid Nails, coincidentally:
http://www.liquidnails.com/ViewProdu...o?productId=26

John E. wrote:
Thus spake DanG:

FRP should be available at any commercial drywall supply house,
good lumber yards, and some box stores. Typically stocked in
limited colors (white and almond) and stocked as 4x8 and 4x10.
Trim pieces include cap strip, H mold, and inside and outside
corners.

-=-=-=-

How is it attached to the studs? A cursory look showed no screws on the
outside surface.

Adhesive?

Thanks,
--
John English

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

In a previous post John E. wrote...
How is it attached to the studs? A cursory look showed no screws on the
outside surface.

Adhesive?

FRP panels are generally glued to a substrate like moisture resistant
drywall or tile backer board. It is possible to find plywood with an FRP
overlay, but this type of product is not generally available.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Structural & Civil Engineering
Poulsbo WA
bob at rlmorrisonengr dot com
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"John E." wrote in message
news.net...
Thus spake DanG:

FRP should be available at any commercial drywall supply house,
good lumber yards, and some box stores. Typically stocked in
limited colors (white and almond) and stocked as 4x8 and 4x10.
Trim pieces include cap strip, H mold, and inside and outside
corners.

-=-=-=-

How is it attached to the studs? A cursory look showed no screws on the
outside surface.

Adhesive?

It's glued on. I helped install a bunch of that stuff in a gigantic pie
freezer at a Sara Lee factory and we backed up the adhesive with little
white plastic anchors (the type where the installer needs to pre-drill the
holes and then tap in the little pin to get the anchor to grab).

This stuff is about $10 a sheet at Home Depot, and they usually stock the
glue right by the paneling-in-question.

Bathroom Floor Replacement Questions Jim McLaughlin Home Repair 5 February 27th 06 05:34 PM
Bathroom paint problem emma UK diy 4 February 6th 06 10:32 PM
Humidity operated bathroom vents Paul UK diy 2 November 28th 05 05:07 PM
Falling Tiles in the bathroom - HELP!!! [email protected] UK diy 11 March 23rd 05 02:23 PM
Marble on bathroom walls HHAC Inc Home Repair 1 February 12th 04 03:03 PM