Posted to alt.home.repair

Default air cushion/water hammer arrestors in plumbing

How important is it to have air cushions and/or water hammer arrestors in
plumbing? My current galvanized plumbing has some sections of pipe where
there is a long straight section coming off a "T" that simply ends in a cap.
My assumption is that is an air cushion for preventing water hammer. Is
something like this normally necessary if you do not have excessively high
water pressure? Is something like this valuable is catching dirt,
sediments, whatever in the pipes and preventing clogging of the fixtures and
aerators?

Since I'm going to be installing PEX I'm not terribly concerned with water
hammer, but what about putting sediment traps in the lines? Would it a good
idea to do this, or are there better ways to filter out city water refuse?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
How important is it to have air cushions and/or water hammer
arrestors in plumbing? My current galvanized plumbing has some
sections of pipe where there is a long straight section coming off a
"T" that simply ends in a cap. My assumption is that is an air
cushion for preventing water hammer. Is something like this normally
necessary if you do not have excessively high water pressure? Is
something like this valuable is catching dirt, sediments, whatever in
the pipes and preventing clogging of the fixtures and aerators?

Since I'm going to be installing PEX I'm not terribly concerned with
water hammer, but what about putting sediment traps in the lines? Would it
a good idea to do this, or are there better ways to filter
out city water refuse?

I would sill have them. You need them because the whole stream of water
is headed down up and around that pipe towards the end. When you shut it
off all that water has a lot of momentum and it needs that cushion. The PEX
might take care of it, or might not, why chance it, putting it in now will
be a lot easier than later.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Intermittent hammer function on Bosch SDS drill? [email protected] UK diy 5 July 24th 16 02:46 PM
Utility sink plumbing questions Kevin Ricks Home Repair 4 May 7th 06 10:26 PM
20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,Cabinet Vision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] ( Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProject Express v4S), Big Hammer Do It Yourself(Deck Designer v1, Fence Designer v5, P TEL UK diy 1 May 24th 05 04:09 PM
Water Hammer from Toilet anon UK diy 7 December 4th 03 01:36 PM
Chicago Electrics Rotary Hammer Drill Review Barry Criner Metalworking 0 September 21st 03 02:20 PM