Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Honda EU200i Generator Question

The Honda EU2000i Generator does not tie the Neutral and Ground connections
together. (View schematic he
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/G...f/31Z07603.pdf)

If I attempt to power an A.O.Smith water heater (gas fired, but a little
control panel to control the thermostat and power vent) with the Honda
generator, the water heater faults and will not operate. The resulting LED
code on the water heater control pad indicates a wiring problem with the
Neutral and Ground. Will sure - a simple circuit tester shows an "open
ground". This is because of the Neutral and Ground being independent from
the generator and not tied together.

What's a solution to fix this? I'd like to run the water heater from the
generator during times of power outages. Note that I'm not hooking this
generator up to the building's main power panel - just plain ol' extension
cords from the generator into the house.

Thanks