Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat Repair

I recently bought a new thermostat for my Heat Pump system and I want
to install it. Problem is, that I've turned off EVERY breaker in my
circuit box and I still get numbers on my thermostat. I turned off the
"HEAT" breaker, and the system doesn't come on if you mess with the
thermostat, but I don't want to pull at any wires if there's still
power to it.

Is there another breaker outside? (its a heat pump system with
emergency heat)
Is it safe to change the thermostat, even if I still have numbers on
the LCD? is it REALLY that much electricity?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The new "setback" thermostats have an internal battery. Check the
instructions. My heat pumps (code issue, I believe) have disconnects
outside, as well as going through a breaker on the inside, which is
well marked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

professorpaul wrote:
The new "setback" thermostats have an internal battery. Check the
instructions. My heat pumps (code issue, I believe) have disconnects
outside, as well as going through a breaker on the inside, which is
well marked.

The original thermostat doesn't have room for a battery, so its running
straight from AC, unless its BEHIND the circuit board and I have to
unscrew it from the wall first (doubtful)
The thermostat I'm replacing is a White Rodgers Model. Looks to be
original, thought the furnace is new.
WAIT! I just discovered another breaker in the furnace closet. Will
THIS turn off the thermostat even though it appears to be for the
furnace only? I don't want to just switch it off and on a bunch of
times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

turn off main breaker killing power in entire home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
WAIT! I just discovered another breaker in the furnace closet. Will
THIS turn off the thermostat even though it appears to be for the
furnace only? I don't want to just switch it off and on a bunch of
times.

Well, did turning that breaker off, kill the LCD display? Since you
said you had a heat pump, I assume by furnace you mean the
Air Handler? Many thermostats are powered by a stepdown
transformer in or near the air handler. I recommend that
you open the thermostat panel and measure the voltage on
the wires. your new Thermostat MUST match this voltage.

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Jul 2006 18:19:50 -0700, "
wrote:

turn off main breaker killing power in entire home.

Or better yet, call the power company and tell them there is a
terrorist living next door and he has a large bomb hooked to the the
electrical system, and would they please shut down the power to the
entire city...... They will shut it down quickly, and when the police
arrive they ought to be happy to commit you to the psycho ward. But
before the cops arrive, you can safely install your thermostat without
getting a shock off that AA battery.