Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Install new decking OVER old?

Our pressure treated deck is 36 feet by 12 feet with the boards running
in the long direction (parallel to the house). The previous owner
ruined the boards so I want to replace them.

It occurs to me that I could put 12 foot boards over top of the
existing decking and have a seamless deck with the boards running in
the short direction (perpendicular to the house). I'd leave gaps
between the boards for drainage. I could even remove some (1/2, 1/3) of
the old boards to improve drainage if necessary.

The deck will be a bit higher but it is already a step down from the
house so that won't be a problem.

Is this done? Are their hidden problems waiting to bite me if I install
new 5/4 x 6 boards on top of and perpendicular to old ones?

Thanks
gb

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Our pressure treated deck is 36 feet by 12 feet with the boards running
in the long direction (parallel to the house). The previous owner
ruined the boards so I want to replace them.

It occurs to me that I could put 12 foot boards over top of the
existing decking and have a seamless deck with the boards running in
the short direction (perpendicular to the house). I'd leave gaps
between the boards for drainage. I could even remove some (1/2, 1/3) of
the old boards to improve drainage if necessary.

The deck will be a bit higher but it is already a step down from the
house so that won't be a problem.

Is this done? Are their hidden problems waiting to bite me if I install
new 5/4 x 6 boards on top of and perpendicular to old ones?

Where the new boards sit on the old, water will wick in and stay, promoting
rot.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to :
Is this done? Are their hidden problems waiting to bite me if I install
new 5/4 x 6 boards on top of and perpendicular to old ones?

You'll have greatly accelerated moisture/rot/mildew problems,
because you're essentially routing water into a "trap" that'll
take a long time to dry out.

Don't do that. Tear off the old layer.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

You cant ruin PT easily, you can turn it over, you can get a floor
sander. But what do you mean ruin, if its just cracked all PT does that.
Dont double up and be a hack , but anybody thinking about doubling
probably doesn`t know ruined either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"m Ransley" wrote in message
You cant ruin PT easily, you can turn it over, you can get a floor
sander. But what do you mean ruin, if its just cracked all PT does that.
Dont double up and be a hack , but anybody thinking about doubling
probably doesn`t know ruined either.

Agreed... we need to know what you mean by ruined. It may not be and the
repair may be cheaper than new boards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another thread that supports my pro-patio agenda ! Masonry is the
sh*t. Decks s*ck, they look dumb and wear out.

Decking LetterBee UK diy 6 April 2nd 05 02:59 PM
pulling up decking Dundonald UK diy 21 March 7th 05 09:48 AM
laminate flooring install time [email protected] Home Repair 15 January 31st 05 03:12 AM
Composite decking: Trex or WeatherBest? Dave K. Home Repair 3 February 18th 04 03:12 AM
Veritas twin-screw vise install report Mike in Mystic Woodworking 14 November 27th 03 05:11 PM