Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bizarre mouse graveyard in wall

A few days ago I noticed a scratching noise coming from inside a wall
in the basement. I haven't noticed any mice droppings or evidence of
mice since I've lived in this house (a little over a year), and the
scratching noise just started a few days ago. The wall separates the
main part of the basement from a storage closet where the oil tank is,
and the side of the wall in the closet is just covered with insulation
and not drywalled over. There is a gap between the ceiling and where
the insulation starts, which is probably how the little guys probably
fell in between the studs. I got my camera and stuck it through the gap
and tried to take pictures of what was making the noise in there, and
from the pictures I see what I think is some sort of pile of bodies
(the zoom really isn't too good on my camera) in one corner of the
space, and one living scratching guy.

I'm wondering how long they've been falling in and dying in there, and
how did they all end up in one pile? There is no food down there, what
is attracting them? Is it worth cutting a hole at the bottom of the
insulation there so they can find their way out?

Thanks,
gladiola

Posted to alt.home.repair

Definatly cut the hole and get the live one out and the rest of those
guys (whats left of them) that is what is attracting them (food). Be
sure to wear a dust mask when doing this as rodent droppings carry the
hunta (sp) virus which can lead to major respitory problems and even
death. But dont get freaked ot just be careful and you will be fine.
Next I would plug up the source of their entrance and repair the
wall..poor mice cute but not when they are in your home......
gladiola wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mice can climb most anything but a smooth wall, any insulation or wood
or interior wall construction they can climb, Id say the mouse just
lives in the mouse graveyard in your walls and moves freelt out to eat,
find the hole they enter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Mice can climb most anything but a smooth wall, any insulation or wood
or interior wall construction they can climb, Id say the mouse just
lives in the mouse graveyard in your walls and moves freelt out to eat,
find the hole they enter.

And the "pile of bodies" might be its sleeping litter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i found a dead mouse once had fallen and got its tail stuck.....

open the wall clean and fix as needed

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Jul 2006 23:04:41 -0700, "gladiola"
wrote:

[...]

I am morbidly curious, can you post some photos of this great mouse
grave yard?

thx,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

I knew someone would want to see the pictures! (sickos....heh heh, just
kidding)

You'll have to use your imagination a little (the digital zoom on the
camera is horrible), but I think the tails are obvious.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gladio...be3re2&.src=ph

Posted to alt.home.repair

One wall looks smooth, that they could not climb, but the other wall
look like insulation that they could climb, its not uncommon to have
dead mice in walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Jul 2006 17:52:37 -0700, "gladiola"
wrote:

I knew someone would want to see the pictures! (sickos....heh heh, just
kidding)

You'll have to use your imagination a little (the digital zoom on the
camera is horrible), but I think the tails are obvious.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gladio...be3re2&.src=ph

Nice! Oops, not a sicko, just commenting on making a succesful
exploration of a hidden space, reminds me of those tiny robots they
use to explore the pyramids on the Discovery Channel.

So, how do you plan on getting rid of the mice, live one first I would
suggest. I don't think the dead ones are going to be moving soon.

later,

tom @ www.Love-Calculators.com