Posted to alt.home.repair
Ali Ali is offline

Default Pool problem

Hello
I opened my in-ground pool last week. It has been a week but the water
is still green. Algae is still at the bottom of the pool with other
junk. The filter has been running continuesly. What should I do. Is it
normal, how long will it take for water to clear? Will algaecide kill
algea sitting on the bottom of the pool foor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ali" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello
I opened my in-ground pool last week. It has been a week but the water
is still green. Algae is still at the bottom of the pool with other
junk. The filter has been running continuesly. What should I do. Is it
normal, how long will it take for water to clear? Will algaecide kill
algea sitting on the bottom of the pool foor?

Go buy pool shock. I bet you will need about 5 or 6 bags. The filter won't
get rid of it . You will have to clean your filters. Better hope you did not
stain your plaster. Then I would find a pool supply to test your water and
teach how to take care of a pool or pay for a pool service. I take care of
my pool the same year round. I test the water once a week and have it tested
once a month.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Jul 2006 19:32:58 -0700, "Ali" wrote:

Hello
I opened my in-ground pool last week. It has been a week but the water
is still green. Algae is still at the bottom of the pool with other
junk. The filter has been running continuesly. What should I do. Is it
normal, how long will it take for water to clear? Will algaecide kill
algea sitting on the bottom of the pool foor?

Your not in bad shape if you can see the bottom...

Shock the pool ..wait a day or two and shock it again..

Add water to the pool (to the top or above the top of the skimmers)
get out your vac and VACUME THE POOL to waste... This will
get rid of "most" of the dead algae that settled to the bottom.

Clean, backwash (AND RINSE) the filter
Adjust your water level back to normal...

This should get you close to where you want to be...
Have your water tested...add what chemicals you need according to the
directions...

I (personally) put my pool in over 30 years ago... its always green
when I open it...and most of the time I can never see the bottom
drain...lucky if I see the bottom in the shallow end...

Honestly I DO test the pool water a couple of times a summer but
not on a regular basis...I do however look at and "feel" the water
almost daily.

Bob G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ali writes:

What should I do.

Eliminate cyanurics if present. Lower pH to 7 or less. Free chlorine at a
few ppm will then kill algae.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sacramento Dave writes:

Go buy pool shock. I bet you will need about 5 or 6 bags.

Chlorination is futile without pH control.

Don't use cyanurated chlorine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Sacramento Dave writes:

Go buy pool shock. I bet you will need about 5 or 6 bags.

Chlorination is futile without pH control.

Don't use cyanurated chlorine.

That's why you test the water more than just chlorine, pH, alkalinity,
Phosphate , Cyaneric(sp) acid., Salt level ( salt water pool ) The pool is a
chemical balancing act Your right it's more than just chlorine. But why
would someone let their pool get in that condition? It's that attitude it's
winter screw the pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sacramento Dave writes:

That's why you test the water more than just chlorine, pH, alkalinity,
Phosphate , Cyaneric(sp) acid., Salt level ( salt water pool )

No. Chlorine and pH are the only two that have anything directly to do
with disinfection and algae control.

Phosphate?