Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Room Air Conditioner Odors

What might cause a room air conditioner to put off a fishy odor? My
room air conditioner (large room) has always been filtered properly,
seems to have adequate draining to the outside and otherwise works fine
cooling-wise. All of a sudden one night, it started putting off this
rotten fishy type odor and we can't figure out what's causing it.
We've had this unit (from Sears) for probably 5 years and it's worked
fine up until now. Sometimes in the past, it would put off a musty
odor and we'd clean the filter and all would be well but now, it's more
than we can handle once it starts smelling like that. It's running for
probably 20-30 minutes just fine before it starts putting out that
smell (even though it operates fine where temperature is concerned).
Also, it runs fine in 'fan' mode with no odors for extended periods of
time. thanks for any ideas...

John