Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing old carpet padding stuck on wood floor

Hi
My home was built in th 1920's with original hardwood floors thruout. But
was completely carpeted when I moved in. As I had started to remove some
carpet sections in dining room and living room, I found the old padding
has hardened to the wood floor. I tried scraping with putty knife, and
soapy water, which only helps a little. THis padding is REALLY crystalized
to the floor, and scraping takes ALOT of elbow grease and time. It took 2
of us 3 full days to finish the small hallway section.
I was told an enzyme cleaner will help, and I tried that with the hallway,
but again, that is only a small help. We still have the rest of the 2
rooms to go! It seems the high traffic areas have the worst hardened
padding.
Does anyone know of any type of product I can get to make this job easier??
or any other way???
Or would be really expensive to get a professional to do the job??
PLEASE HELP!!!!

thank you, Pat