Posted to alt.home.repair
patscrafts patscrafts is offline

Default removing old carpet padding stuck on wood floor

Hi, Thanks for your replies!
I am not a floor expert, but the hardened clumps on my floor just mey be
some kind of glue. It could be anything, the house is over 85 years old,
with several previous owners, I dont have any past info on whats happened
to the floors.
I was told the floor was oak from a friend. When I moved in the carpet was
at least 10 years old, a sclupted pile i hated.
Heres what I've tried to remove the hardened clumps so far....
I tried a paint removing solvent, acetone based??? did not help, and stunk!

Also tried a rotary sander and didnt even penetrate the thicker clumps,
also tried my hand sander, both were not any help, and used many pads
trying.
The clumps are like a cream beige color, and most are 2" or so wide, and
worse in high traffic areas. Could this be some type of glue?? For all I
know they could have had linoleum on the floor in the 50's!! There was
still linoleum in the upstairs bedroom.
I was thinking the last carpet installed they just took up what they could
of the clumps and re padded right over.
The only way we got the clumps off the hallway was to soak with a solution
of water, a little soap, and some liquid enzyme cleaner for at last an
hour and then scrape away for hours,and hours with putty knives.
Any info if it is glue?
I dont have a lot of money to work with on this project, or hire a
professional. I just want to get the clumps up, and re finish the floor
next year.
HELP!!!

thank you, Pat