Posted to alt.home.repair

Default backerboard ontop of concrete (tiling)

Alright, I'm new to tiling and I have this second story condo that has a
conrete floor (at least it looks that way). What I'm

wanting to know is, should I lay backerboard over the concrete? Isn't the
concrete stable enough for ceramic tiles? I know

that there will be cracks that need to be filled, and that I might have to
use a leveling compound. But all that sounds

better than buying and hauling hardibacker into the condo and drilling
holes into concrete slab. Any information would help
Posted to alt.home.repair

Xen3D wrote:
Alright, I'm new to tiling and I have this second story condo that
has a conrete floor (at least it looks that way). What I'm

wanting to know is, should I lay backerboard over the concrete? Isn't
the concrete stable enough for ceramic tiles? I know

that there will be cracks that need to be filled, and that I might
have to use a leveling compound. But all that sounds

better than buying and hauling hardibacker into the condo and drilling
holes into concrete slab. Any information would help

No, you don't need backerboard. Filling cracks is superfluous too as that
will be done automatically when you spread thinset around to lay the tiles.
It is also unlikely that you will need to level the floor unless they did a
really lousy job on the slab.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
Xen3D wrote:
Alright, I'm new to tiling and I have this second story condo that
has a conrete floor (at least it looks that way). What I'm

wanting to know is, should I lay backerboard over the concrete? Isn't
the concrete stable enough for ceramic tiles? I know

that there will be cracks that need to be filled, and that I might
have to use a leveling compound. But all that sounds

better than buying and hauling hardibacker into the condo and drilling
holes into concrete slab. Any information would help

No, you don't need backerboard. Filling cracks is superfluous too as that
will be done automatically when you spread thinset around to lay the tiles.
It is also unlikely that you will need to level the floor unless they did a
really lousy job on the slab.

The he will want to determine why the cracks are there and if the floor is
moving.

If you're worried about the floor moving, or you know that it is, you
could use a deocupling mebrane as described he
http://www.homeenvy.com/db/9/129.html

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.