Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need new gas water heater - best brands?

Looking at a Kenmore Power Miser 12 gas water heater (need 75 gallon) since
it has a 12 year warranty. But I have no experience with the Kenmoore brand,
just Rheem and Whirlpool. Any known issues?

What are some good quality gas 75 gallon water heaters with 10-12 year
warranties, say in the $500-$70 range (w/o installation)?

Junior Member

Location: SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignGuy
Looking at a Kenmore Power Miser 12 gas water heater (need 75 gallon) since
it has a 12 year warranty. But I have no experience with the Kenmoore brand,
just Rheem and Whirlpool. Any known issues?

What are some good quality gas 75 gallon water heaters with 10-12 year
warranties, say in the $500-$70 range (w/o installation)?

I replaced mine recently, looked all over for a decent replacement and finally settled on a Rheem Gas-Fired Tankless Water Heater. It was easy to change out my older tank water heater as the new one was also natural gas fired and was much smaller compared to the tank water heater it was replacing.

I also looked at Electric Tankless Water Heaters, but decided to keep it to gas making my transition simpler. I ended up buying the Rheem Tankless Water Heater RTG-74PVN, Indoor Use and then also bought a smaller Chronomite SR-20L 120v Instant-Flow SR Tankless Water Heater for my trailer. I bought them both from the links above, they both work great and I am really happy with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
m...
Looking at a Kenmore Power Miser 12 gas water heater (need 75 gallon)
since
it has a 12 year warranty. But I have no experience with the Kenmoore
brand,
just Rheem and Whirlpool. Any known issues?

What are some good quality gas 75 gallon water heaters with 10-12 year
warranties, say in the $500-$70 range (w/o installation)?

As far as I know, just looking at Price (lowest), warranty(longest), size
(what you need) and energy star rating(cost of ownership) and finding a
combination of those variables that suits you is the way to do it. Kenmore
is a Re-Brand. They usually use quality OEM manufacturers since Sears isn't
into paying out warranty claims. Not sure who makes their WH's but if it
looks similar to another, its probably a brother.

a 12 year warranty is a 12 year warranty no matter who makes it. How they
will react when you have a leak 10 years from now would be a good indicator
though. Is it like batteries where they rebate a portion of the price
depending on how old or do they give you a replacement? (I never checked
that). Sears will be around in 12 years IMO