Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power to new ceiling fan?

A friend wants to install a bedroom ceiling fan in a condo. There is
no electrical box at the location and there is a floor directly above
So, we're looking at options:

1 - Run wiring to it, but this will require cutting/patching drywall,
which means a lot of work, including repainting

2 - Using surface mount, raceway type setup

3 - Using a swag kit, which is basicly is a cord that plugs into a wall
outlet, then runs through hooks to the fan.

Will probably use a remote as the only control, which makes things
easier.

So, any opinions? Particularly any code issues regarding 2 or 3? I
didn;'t even know 3 was an option, but on the web I see fan shops
selling them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
No light fixture on the ceiling?

Yeah, there's one right there where the fan should go, staring me in
the face. That's why I said there is no electrical box and was
looking for alternatives. Geez.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
No light fixture on the ceiling?

Yeah, there's one right there where the fan should go, staring me in
the face. That's why I said there is no electrical box and was
looking for alternatives. Geez.

I'm kind of in the same boat, re a friend's house, but the problem is
ensuring the existing box is sufficiently solidly anchored to hold up
the fan, without ripping apart the ceiling. Which has just been
painted, of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"z" wrote in message I'm kind of in the same
boat, re a friend's house, but the problem is
ensuring the existing box is sufficiently solidly anchored to hold up
the fan, without ripping apart the ceiling. Which has just been
painted, of course.

had a similar install problem. went ahead and opened the ceiling to
a 1 ft access 'circle'. Was able to provide secure anchoring for the
light fixture box. Hung fan using a circular trim plate with
decorative molding to cover the hole. Shop for the trim
cover plate before cutting ceiling hole.

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lee houston" wrote in message
y.com...
had a similar install problem. went ahead and opened the ceiling to
a 1 ft access 'circle'. Was able to provide secure anchoring for the
light fixture box. Hung fan using a circular trim plate with
decorative molding to cover the hole. Shop for the trim
cover plate before cutting ceiling hole.

If the light fixture box is nailed to the Side of a rafter, consider a
lag screw hook or eye into the rafter. go to a ceiling fan Store
for the hardware to adapt to ceiling fan. Still use a large circular
trim plate to cover the old box.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

lee houston wrote:
"z" wrote in message I'm kind of in the same
boat, re a friend's house, but the problem is
ensuring the existing box is sufficiently solidly anchored to hold up
the fan, without ripping apart the ceiling. Which has just been
painted, of course.

had a similar install problem. went ahead and opened the ceiling to
a 1 ft access 'circle'. Was able to provide secure anchoring for the
light fixture box. Hung fan using a circular trim plate with
decorative molding to cover the hole. Shop for the trim
cover plate before cutting ceiling hole.

Oh yeah! I've seen them! Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
A friend wants to install a bedroom ceiling fan in a condo. There is
no electrical box at the location and there is a floor directly above
So, we're looking at options:

1 - Run wiring to it, but this will require cutting/patching drywall,
which means a lot of work, including repainting

2 - Using surface mount, raceway type setup

3 - Using a swag kit, which is basicly is a cord that plugs into a wall
outlet, then runs through hooks to the fan.

Will probably use a remote as the only control, which makes things
easier.

So, any opinions? Particularly any code issues regarding 2 or 3? I
didn;'t even know 3 was an option, but on the web I see fan shops
selling them.

4- Here is how I have solved that problem many times...
It is not applicable in all instances.

Take the power from a receptacle on an interior wall from the room
above.
(The exterior walls' insulation causes problems.)

Cut a hole at the location for the ceiling fan.

Determine the direction that the ceiling joists are running.
You will be droping your 14/2 from upstairs into this "chase'.

Measure from the parallel outside wall to the center of your chase.
(lets' say it's a 12'X12' room and your measurement is 6')

Go to the room upstairs and measure 6', from the same exterior wall,
along the interior wall that is running perpendicular to the chase.
This is where you will drop your wire down into the ceiling below.

If the room above is a tiled bathroom, fagetaboutit.
If the room above is larger than the room below, fagetaboutit.
Smaller or the same size is good.

Locate a receptacle along that wall.

You may have to cut, drill and patch the wall to reach your drop point.

Drill a hole through the top plate.
Try to angle your hole in the direction of the ceiling fan.

Push your wire through the hole.
Jam six feet of wire down there.

fan.
I use a stick of 1/2" pvc with a hook taped on it for this.

I hope that was clear enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

lee houston wrote:

"z" wrote in message I'm kind of in the same
boat, re a friend's house, but the problem is

ensuring the existing box is sufficiently solidly anchored to hold up
the fan, without ripping apart the ceiling. Which has just been
painted, of course.

had a similar install problem. went ahead and opened the ceiling to
a 1 ft access 'circle'. Was able to provide secure anchoring for the
light fixture box. Hung fan using a circular trim plate with
decorative molding to cover the hole. Shop for the trim
cover plate before cutting ceiling hole.

lee h

Hi,
That was my idea and I did one install like that in my bathroom.
And the answer was sarcastic! Some openings can be cover by nice round
medallion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What you do depends on how picky you are.

Option 3 is the simplest, but looks the worst with wire hanging. And
you would have to custom create a power cord to plug the ceiling fan
into a wall outlet (I'm assuming that's where you'll get your power)
which is risky.

Option 1 is a pain the backside, but ultimately the most permanent and
gives the best value to the room and the condo.

Option 2 is the best mix of ease and look - you can paint the raceway
to match the ceiling and you won't notice it as much.

On the other hand, if you DO have a light fixture there where you want
to put the fan (as it seems a later post indicates), you should check
to make sure the electric box is securely mounted before hanging a fan
from it. If it is, you're golden.

If it's not, you can get expansion boxes at your local hardware or
electrical supply store which have arms that extend to the side to
secure the box to the joists. You'll still have to do some
cut-and-patch, but again, this is your best option for the sake of
permanence and how it will look someday down the road when your friend
goes to sell the place.

wrote:
A friend wants to install a bedroom ceiling fan in a condo. There is
no electrical box at the location and there is a floor directly above
So, we're looking at options:

1 - Run wiring to it, but this will require cutting/patching drywall,
which means a lot of work, including repainting

2 - Using surface mount, raceway type setup

3 - Using a swag kit, which is basicly is a cord that plugs into a wall
outlet, then runs through hooks to the fan.

Will probably use a remote as the only control, which makes things
easier.

So, any opinions? Particularly any code issues regarding 2 or 3? I
didn;'t even know 3 was an option, but on the web I see fan shops
selling them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:

On the other hand, if you DO have a light fixture there where you want
to put the fan (as it seems a later post indicates),

Fool.

Power Supply Repair fernando1222 Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 05 09:18 PM
retrofitting an ATX psupply into a microATX psupply box - won't power dave Electronics Repair 0 March 23rd 05 03:23 PM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
Computer power supply compatiility My father's son Electronics Repair 15 January 16th 04 11:13 PM
testing ATX power supply tempus fugit Electronics Repair 12 January 13th 04 05:03 PM