Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE Water Softener

We installed a GE water softener recently. Today we had to turn off
the circuit breaker for reasons not related to the water softener ....
anyway, when we turned it back on I went out to adjust the clock on the
water softener .... and it still had perfect time. There is no mention
in the manual of a battery backup and I don't remember us putting a
battery in....so does anyone know about these? Can't find anything
about it on FAQs or DIY. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
We installed a GE water softener recently. Today we had to turn off
the circuit breaker for reasons not related to the water softener ....
anyway, when we turned it back on I went out to adjust the clock on the
water softener .... and it still had perfect time. There is no mention
in the manual of a battery backup and I don't remember us putting a
battery in....so does anyone know about these? Can't find anything
about it on FAQs or DIY. Thanks.

I think sometimes the microprocessors (or more accurately the circuit
board) contain a small battery just for saving settings and clock time,
etc. Or maybe even a small capacitor does the job. Sounds like you
found a nice and unexpected feature. It's things like that that make you
remember and recommend those products.

Richard Thoms
President - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Connecting Homeowners and Local Home Service Professionals
Homeowners, Find a Top Service Pro -- http://www.TopServicePros.com
Service Pros, Get Listed on the Web - http://www.TopServicePros.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 12:46:18 -0500, Richard Thoms
wrote:

Dottie wrote:
We installed a GE water softener recently. Today we had to turn off
the circuit breaker for reasons not related to the water softener ....
anyway, when we turned it back on I went out to adjust the clock on the
water softener .... and it still had perfect time. There is no mention
in the manual of a battery backup and I don't remember us putting a
battery in....so does anyone know about these? Can't find anything
about it on FAQs or DIY. Thanks.

I think sometimes the microprocessors (or more accurately the circuit
board) contain a small battery just for saving settings and clock time,
etc. Or maybe even a small capacitor does the job. Sounds like you
found a nice and unexpected feature. It's things like that that make you
remember and recommend those products.

If you're talking about a clock, you need a timebase as well as a
power supply. Nice to have an accurate one. I've found many to be off
(usually fact). They can be cheap RC circuits.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com