Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rockwall

When trying to make a soundproof room or at least one that is sound quiet,
is double layer off-set seam rockwall pretty much the best you can go or are
there better materials to do the job - in terms of thickness and/or expense?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
When trying to make a soundproof room or at least one that is sound quiet,
is double layer off-set seam rockwall pretty much the best you can go or
are there better materials to do the job - in terms of thickness and/or
expense?

If possible, use a 2x6 top and bottom plate and stagger your 2x4 studs. This
keeps the sound on one side of the wall transferring to the other side of
the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
When trying to make a soundproof room or at least one that is sound quiet,
is double layer off-set seam rockwall pretty much the best you can go or are
there better materials to do the job - in terms of thickness and/or expense?

http://www.soundproofing.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
When trying to make a soundproof room or at least one that is sound
quiet, is double layer off-set seam rockwall pretty much the best you can
go or are there better materials to do the job - in terms of thickness
and/or expense?

If possible, use a 2x6 top and bottom plate and stagger your 2x4 studs.
This keeps the sound on one side of the wall transferring to the other
side of the wall.

I would imagine that you would need to be on seriously good terms with the
inspector for something like this - I can't imagine what it would be like to
run pipes or cables through this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
When trying to make a soundproof room or at least one that is sound
quiet, is double layer off-set seam rockwall pretty much the best you
can go or are there better materials to do the job - in terms of
thickness and/or expense?

If possible, use a 2x6 top and bottom plate and stagger your 2x4 studs.
This keeps the sound on one side of the wall transferring to the other
side of the wall.

I would imagine that you would need to be on seriously good terms with the
inspector for something like this - I can't imagine what it would be like
to run pipes or cables through this.

Why would it be different than for a regular 2x4 stud wall? The only real
difference is that your wall ends up being 6" thick instead of 4"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
When trying to make a soundproof room or at least one that is sound
quiet, is double layer off-set seam rockwall pretty much the best you
can go or are there better materials to do the job - in terms of
thickness and/or expense?

If possible, use a 2x6 top and bottom plate and stagger your 2x4 studs.
This keeps the sound on one side of the wall transferring to the other
side of the wall.

I would imagine that you would need to be on seriously good terms with
the inspector for something like this - I can't imagine what it would be
like to run pipes or cables through this.

Why would it be different than for a regular 2x4 stud wall? The only real
difference is that your wall ends up being 6" thick instead of 4"

You'd have to snake everything since the center of the stud would change
every 12" or so or am I not reading you right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If possible, use a 2x6 top and bottom plate and stagger your 2x4 studs.
This keeps the sound on one side of the wall transferring to the other
side of the wall.

I would imagine that you would need to be on seriously good terms with
the inspector for something like this - I can't imagine what it would be
like to run pipes or cables through this.

Why would it be different than for a regular 2x4 stud wall? The only real
difference is that your wall ends up being 6" thick instead of 4"

You'd have to snake everything since the center of the stud would change
every 12" or so or am I not reading you right?

You don't have to run through the center of the studs... Just ensure that
they are far enough from the outside side of the wall... 2 3/4 inches back
should work fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
"Noozer" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

When trying to make a soundproof room or at least one that is sound
quiet, is double layer off-set seam rockwall pretty much the best you can
go or are there better materials to do the job - in terms of thickness
and/or expense?

If possible, use a 2x6 top and bottom plate and stagger your 2x4 studs.
This keeps the sound on one side of the wall transferring to the other
side of the wall.

I would imagine that you would need to be on seriously good terms with the
inspector for something like this - I can't imagine what it would be like to
run pipes or cables through this.

Huh? Pick one side and run the cable or pipe through the center of the
studs on that side. The cable is even easier as you don't have to do
any drilling at all - let it snake in and out along the back of the
studs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
If possible, use a 2x6 top and bottom plate and stagger your 2x4
studs. This keeps the sound on one side of the wall transferring to
the other side of the wall.

I would imagine that you would need to be on seriously good terms with
the inspector for something like this - I can't imagine what it would
be like to run pipes or cables through this.

Why would it be different than for a regular 2x4 stud wall? The only
real difference is that your wall ends up being 6" thick instead of 4"

You'd have to snake everything since the center of the stud would change
every 12" or so or am I not reading you right?

You don't have to run through the center of the studs... Just ensure that
they are far enough from the outside side of the wall... 2 3/4 inches back
should work fine.

Hmmm, okay I guess the inspector is the final arbiter, but I guess I'm a
little too green to visualize this. Don't worry, I'm just gathering
information and ideas on projects I might work on in a year or two - I'm not
buying the rockwall as I compose this.