Posted to alt.home.repair
Kendall

Default Put cedar or other wood on an existing Aluminum Door

Several of our neighbors now have had their garage doors replaced.
These are wood doors with a nice cedar planks on the front, giving it a
nice wood design.

I am wonder if it would be possible and practical to do this to an
existing Aluminum door.

Several issues.
1. Would the door handle the load (I would just the thinest planks I
could find)
2. Would the overhead opener handle the extra load.
3. What would I use to attached the wood? I would not want to drill
holes. I am think some of the liquid nails might work.

any thoughts
thanks
kendall

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kendall" wrote in message
oups.com...

Several of our neighbors now have had their garage doors replaced.
These are wood doors with a nice cedar planks on the front, giving it a
nice wood design.

I am wonder if it would be possible and practical to do this to an
existing Aluminum door.

If there is any rain where you live, this would
probably be a bad idea. During rainfall unknown
chemicals would pass from the wood to the
metal and probably stain it. You do not
know what colour these marks will be.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Kendall wrote:
Several of our neighbors now have had their garage doors replaced.
These are wood doors with a nice cedar planks on the front, giving it a
nice wood design.

I am wonder if it would be possible and practical to do this to an
existing Aluminum door.

Possible? Sure

Practical? That's surely debatable at best imo...

Several issues.
1. Would the door handle the load (I would just the thinest planks I
could find)

All depends on how over-designed it is currently and how much extra
weight it has to handle. You don't even tell the size of the door....

2. Would the overhead opener handle the extra load.

The springs balance the door weight, not the opener. You would either
need to adjust tension or replace the springs depending on how much was
added...

3. What would I use to attached the wood? I would not want to drill
holes. I am think some of the liquid nails might work.

Not for long, w/ such flexing and movement that kind of an application
would have, nothing other than a mechanical connection would last
long...

any thoughts
thanks
kendall

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Kendall" wrote in message
Several issues.
1. Would the door handle the load (I would just the thinest planks I
could find)
2. Would the overhead opener handle the extra load.
3. What would I use to attached the wood? I would not want to drill
holes. I am think some of the liquid nails might work.

You'd have to replace the springs with stronger ones. That way the opener
can handle the added load.

Don't know the answer to the rest of your questions though.