Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement drain field tile?

Hi,
I have a septic system that was put in when the house was built in the
60's. I have determined that several feet of drain field concrete tile
have disintegrated in one channel, and I would like to replace them. I
have already dug a ditch and exposed the problem area, and only need to
replace about 4-5 feet of it.

Can anyone suggest what material should be used to replace? One local
gentleman suggested plastic piping from the local hardware store, but
that I may need to cut it myself. I'm not sure if I understood 100%,
but I think he's just talking about some ABS plastic and cutting it
into half-cylinders myself.

As much fun as digging the ditch was, I would prefer to not do it again
any time soon.
Can anyone suggest if such an approach would be a good solution, or if
not can you recommend what kind of supplier to pursue these replacement
tiles from?

The area surrounding the pipes is currently a mixture of dirt and
gravel. I expected to find just gravel, but probably this has migrated
around over the last 40 years. I assume I should resurround this bit of
pipe with fresh gravel while I'm in here. Any suggestion on what size
to use, how wide of a channel to fill with it, or other relevant
specifications?

Thanks much!

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If one part of the finger system has failed, it is likely other parts are
close to failure. Additionally, in many (most?) areas, any time the system
is opened, it has to be inspected and signed off by health dept, and they
basically want to see a recognized qualified septic company doing the work.

Personally, I'd bite the bullet and replace the whole damn finger system,
and get it over with. Way easier and cheaper in summer than in winter, when
a hard frost may make it back up entirely.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

ameijers wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

If you can figure out why the original system failed, you may be able to
avoid the total replacement. For instance, did someone drive a truck
loaded with soil across your septic system, crushing the pipes?
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

You replace it with PVC drain pipe, 4" in diameter, it comes with holes
punched in it for drainage. You do NOT cut it lengthwise but put a whole
piece of pipe in the ground. Where it abuts the old clay pipes, cover the
joint with some tar paper or a short length of pipe that is split into a
halfround to keep particulates from dropping down.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmie D

ews.com...

wrote in message
[...]

I would replace the crushed section then wait a while to see how it works.
IT sounds like there is at least a possibility that your leechfield may be
saturated. I would give the patch a chance though before I dug up the whole
thing.