Posted to alt.home.repair
Crabshell

Default trying to match wall texture

I posted a question about this a while back and thought I'd try again, this
time with an illustration!

I need to match a drywall texture and it doesn't look like anything that
comes out of a can these days. It's similar to what some people call a
slapbrush texture, but more subtle. Here's a link to a photo at close to
100% scale:

http://www.billrogers.net/clients/bill/DSC00655-2.jpg

Thanks for any advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris

Looks to me like roll on texture, maybe with sand. Get a normal paint
roller and mix up some mud thinned with water and try it on some
cardboard.

Crabshell wrote:
I posted a question about this a while back and thought I'd try again, this
time with an illustration!

I need to match a drywall texture and it doesn't look like anything that
comes out of a can these days. It's similar to what some people call a
slapbrush texture, but more subtle. Here's a link to a photo at close to
100% scale:

http://www.billrogers.net/clients/bill/DSC00655-2.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Crabshell wrote:
I posted a question about this a while back and thought I'd try again, this
time with an illustration!

I need to match a drywall texture and it doesn't look like anything that
comes out of a can these days. It's similar to what some people call a
slapbrush texture, but more subtle. Here's a link to a photo at close to
100% scale:

http://www.billrogers.net/clients/bill/DSC00655-2.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

go he

http://www.drywallschool.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Crabshell

"RayV" wrote in news:1151349176.237748.305890
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

http://www.drywallschool.com/

Thanks. I found that myself and the texture isn't quite what he shows.
That's where I found the "slapbrush" term.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Use about equal parts of paint and ready mix joint compound. Get
a long nap roller cover, 3/4 minimum - 1" plus preferred. The
paint can be any old latex junk or mismatch you have or buy. Keep
the paint in a 5 gallon bucket, not a roller tray. Lay down
plenty of tarps, use an extension handle on the roller frame, wear
old clothes. Dunk the roller into the 5, bang it back and forth
on the sides of the bucket to shed excess, roll onto the wall.
Once the wall has a full wet coat, work at getting a uniform
texture without blobs and ridges.

The texture is often called "roller stipple".
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Crabshell" wrote in message
I posted a question about this a while back and thought I'd try
again, this
time with an illustration!

I need to match a drywall texture and it doesn't look like
anything that
comes out of a can these days. It's similar to what some people
call a
slapbrush texture, but more subtle. Here's a link to a photo at
close to
100% scale:

http://www.billrogers.net/clients/bill/DSC00655-2.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
crabshell

Thanks. I'll try that on a scrap of wood and see what happens. How long
does it take to dry? I assume you have to do an entire wall before it
dries otherwise it won't blend well, correct?

"DanG" wrote in news:jr8og.145563$k%3.55328
@dukeread12:

"Crabshell" wrote in message
I posted a question about this a while back and thought I'd try
again, this
time with an illustration!

I need to match a drywall texture and it doesn't look like
anything that
comes out of a can these days. It's similar to what some people
call a
slapbrush texture, but more subtle. Here's a link to a photo at
close to
100% scale:

http://www.billrogers.net/clients/bill/DSC00655-2.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

bracing wall query [email protected] UK diy 3 May 23rd 06 02:16 PM
retro wall and ceiling texture help crabshell Home Repair 0 May 13th 06 04:30 AM
Building loose rock wall along a slope Matt Home Repair 6 May 2nd 06 11:50 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited jeff Home Ownership 1 August 20th 03 12:06 AM