Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric

Default Garage door opener problem

Hi,
I'm having trouble figuring out what is wrong with my garage door opener.
I push the button to close the door, it goes about a foot then reverses.
Normally I'd say something was in the way (breaking the light beam)
**But** if i hit the button again at the time its just about to reverse
which will get it to stop before it reverses, then hit the button again it
will close normally. The light beam thing seems lined up quite well and its
lenses are clean so I'm 99% sure its not the problem.
What else could be wrong with the thing?
Thanks
Eric

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Eric wrote:

Hi,
I'm having trouble figuring out what is wrong with my garage door opener.
I push the button to close the door, it goes about a foot then reverses.
Normally I'd say something was in the way (breaking the light beam)
**But** if i hit the button again at the time its just about to reverse
which will get it to stop before it reverses, then hit the button again it
will close normally. The light beam thing seems lined up quite well and its
lenses are clean so I'm 99% sure its not the problem.
What else could be wrong with the thing?
Thanks
Eric

Hi,
Already checked the tracks to see anything binding by disenganging the
opener? Light beam emitter/sensor might be out oif alignment, dusty
or stray light is interfering.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not sure if this is comparable but I had a problem with mine where
sometimes it would close and sometimes it would get almost all down and
then reopen. The person who installed it had mounted the light
sending/receiving units on the tracks themselves. The movement of the
tracks threw the light off sometimes, which caused the erratic
behavior.

Had another company come out and they mounted the light things on the
wall with brackets, it works like a charm now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

First thing to do is disconnect the door from the opener and verify
that it moves smoothly and easily through full range of motion. The
door should be balanced so that it only takes a moderate amount of
effort and the door should pretty much stay in any position if you let
it go.

If that's all good, then it's possible the down force limit is set too
low and needs to be adjusted.