Posted to alt.home.repair
Patt

Default tub drain

I have to remove the drain in the bathtub. Was installed about 30 years
ago. Can someone give me some tips. I have a plug wrench. I`m worried
about the pipes (metal) snapping if I torque too much. Would a few drops of
liquid wrench be helpful? Thanks.
Patt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Patt wrote:

I have to remove the drain in the bathtub. Was installed about 30 years
ago. Can someone give me some tips. I have a plug wrench. I`m worried
about the pipes (metal) snapping if I torque too much. Would a few drops of
liquid wrench be helpful? Thanks.
Patt

That is a tough problem. Often the threads get corroded
tightly together and your plug wrench will merely snap the
grid apart. Almost impossible to get any oil to penetrate where
it's needed. And, yes, stuff will start to snap under the tub.

If it looks like it will not unscrew, and the thing absolutely
*must* come out, I usually put a Sawzall blade to it from above.
Saw vertical "slots" in the sidewall to weaken it to where it can
be collapsed a bit. Then it *will* come out.

There is a rubber gasket *under* the tub, between the tub
and the "shoe". That will need to be replaced. If you can't
get under the tub, work a new gasket thru the hole from above.

And plumber's putty between top of tub and new drain.

Allow about 2 days for this job :-(

JJim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Patt

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
news
Patt wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info JJim. The only reason I feel I have to remove it is
that water is leaking from it. Could I just put a bead of silicone around
the drain in the tub? Thanks
Patt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Patt wrote:

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
news
Patt wrote:

[...]

Oh, in that case, I would definitely try the silicone.
Dry the thing out with a hair dryer first.
Good luck,
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

"Patt" wrote in message

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
news
Patt wrote:

[...]

the silicone is worth a try. A cheapo solution i used was
a flat rubber bath stopper. a flat rubber disk that you just
lay over the drain- the weight of the water holds it down.
not hi -tech but stops water from going down the drain and
stops it from going down 'around' the drain. available at
most hardware/plumbing supplies for a buck or two. using
this you don't have to depend on the bathtub's linkage to
close the drain.

lee h