Posted to alt.home.repair
DP

Default Kitchen sink drain vent

I'm selling my house, and the home inspector pointed out that the
kitchen drain is not vented, so the new owner (hopefully!) wants that
fixed. Isn't there a way to do that with a check-valve, or some such
easy solution??

It's been working for me for the last 4 years (despite the occasional
gurgle), and don't think it's been any different since construction in
1980... I sure don't want to do a major remodeling just to make this
sale.

Thanks,
DP

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

DP wrote:
I'm selling my house, and the home inspector pointed out that the
kitchen drain is not vented, so the new owner (hopefully!) wants that
fixed. Isn't there a way to do that with a check-valve, or some such
easy solution??

It's been working for me for the last 4 years (despite the occasional
gurgle), and don't think it's been any different since construction in
1980... I sure don't want to do a major remodeling just to make this
sale.

Thanks,
DP

There are code-approved under-sink vents (vacuum breakers) you can add
to the drain line. Go to any good home store and they will sell you one.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

DP wrote:

I'm selling my house, and the home inspector pointed out that the
kitchen drain is not vented, so the new owner (hopefully!) wants that
fixed. Isn't there a way to do that with a check-valve, or some such
easy solution??

It's been working for me for the last 4 years (despite the occasional
gurgle), and don't think it's been any different since construction in
1980... I sure don't want to do a major remodeling just to make this
sale.

Thanks,
DP

http://www.studor.com/
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/autovent.html

In some parts of the country, it was very common
(and accepted) practice NOT to provide a vent-to-roof
connection for the kitchen sink drain.

The 1 1/2" sink P-trap connected into a 1 1/2" X 2"
Reducing EL. A 2" vertical drain runs down to the
main house drain (sewer) from the EL.

The over-size reducing EL vents the P-trap via
the house drain. It can do this because the
2" vert drain has ample space for air flow even
under maximum waste flow conditions.

Whether it's worth arguing with the buyer/inspector
if you do have this arrangement is up for grabs.
But, as I said, this was accepted for a long, long time.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

DP wrote:
I'm selling my house, and the home inspector pointed out that the
kitchen drain is not vented, so the new owner (hopefully!) wants that
fixed. Isn't there a way to do that with a check-valve, or some such
easy solution??

It's been working for me for the last 4 years (despite the occasional
gurgle), and don't think it's been any different since construction in
1980... I sure don't want to do a major remodeling just to make this
sale.

Thanks,
DP

Ha. If this is the worst thing they could find wrong with your house
I'd tell 'em to go pound sand.

Doug