Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
Joseph Meehan

Default fanpower needed to cool house overnight

Lacustral wrote:
I'd like to use an exhaust fan (fan from a ceiling grille to outside)
to run overnight in the summer, with the windows open, so that my
house is cool in the morning. I'm not sure how much CFM is needed.
I don't want a big powerful whole house fan because I'd like it to be
quiet. Just a small
fan that keeps running overnight.

If you're using a fan for that purpose, can you tell me how much CFM
gets your house down to the temperature of the outside air, and how
many cubic feet of airspace you're ventilating, and how long does it
take to cool
the house down to the outside temperature?

Just trying to get a ballpark idea.

(I could calculate the cubic feet of airspace in my house, divide by
CFM
of a fan, and come up with a guess, but I'm sure it's not that simple
-
the hot stuff in the house is heating up the air, fans aren't
completely efficient about clearing out the inside air, etc.)

Thanks
Laura

Get a good LARGE whole house fan that offers more than one speed. The
larger size fan will move more air with less noise.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit