Posted to alt.home.repair
CK

Default Fiber Cement Siding Repair

I have a hole at the end of one of the fiber-cement siding planks on the
exterior of my house. The hole looks as though someone took a bite out of
the end of the plank, exposing the weather barrier. The plank in question
butts up to the frame/side sill of a window. The hole is a bit smaller than
the size of a silver dollar. Is there a simple way to repair this or is it
necessary to replace the whole plank? Perhaps some type of fiber-cement
patch or putty to fill the hole?

Also, what is the best type of caulk to use to fill in the gaps where the
siding meets the wooden window frame/sill? DIY Help Pages that I found on
the Internet mention ASTM C920 caulk- either acrylic, latex, or urethane.
Does one type perform/last better than others?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to CK :
I have a hole at the end of one of the fiber-cement siding planks on the
exterior of my house. The hole looks as though someone took a bite out of
the end of the plank, exposing the weather barrier. The plank in question
butts up to the frame/side sill of a window. The hole is a bit smaller than
the size of a silver dollar. Is there a simple way to repair this or is it
necessary to replace the whole plank? Perhaps some type of fiber-cement
patch or putty to fill the hole?

Concrete patch would probably work. Even drywall mud (the "add water"
type, NOT premix) would for a hole that small. Roughen up the inside
of the hole.

Also, what is the best type of caulk to use to fill in the gaps where the
siding meets the wooden window frame/sill? DIY Help Pages that I found on
the Internet mention ASTM C920 caulk- either acrylic, latex, or urethane.
Does one type perform/last better than others?

These days they're all about the same - quite long, tho, urethanes will
probably stand up best long term.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:37:22 -0700, "CK" wrote:

I have a hole at the end of one of the fiber-cement siding planks on the
exterior of my house. The hole looks as though someone took a bite out of
the end of the plank, exposing the weather barrier. The plank in question
butts up to the frame/side sill of a window. The hole is a bit smaller than
the size of a silver dollar. Is there a simple way to repair this or is it
necessary to replace the whole plank? Perhaps some type of fiber-cement
patch or putty to fill the hole?

Since you mention putty, try Bondo.

Also, what is the best type of caulk to use to fill in the gaps where the
siding meets the wooden window frame/sill? DIY Help Pages that I found on
the Internet mention ASTM C920 caulk- either acrylic, latex, or urethane.
Does one type perform/last better than others?

Something exterior, climate friendly - pick your poison.

Oren
They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction.
Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998
Posted to alt.home.repair
Craven Morehead

What's a "silver dollar"?
"CK" wrote in message
I have a hole at the end of one of the fiber-cement siding planks on the
exterior of my house. The hole looks as though someone took a bite out of
the end of the plank, exposing the weather barrier. The plank in question
butts up to the frame/side sill of a window. The hole is a bit smaller than
the size of a silver dollar. Is there a simple way to repair this or is it
necessary to replace the whole plank? Perhaps some type of fiber-cement
patch or putty to fill the hole?

Also, what is the best type of caulk to use to fill in the gaps where the
siding meets the wooden window frame/sill? DIY Help Pages that I found on
the Internet mention ASTM C920 caulk- either acrylic, latex, or urethane.
Does one type perform/last better than others?

Thanks in advance.

Mitsubishi WS-55805 rearscreen projection repair advice Isaac Electronics Repair 3 April 27th 06 08:02 AM
Putting cement foundation where there is none lagnaf Home Repair 7 April 4th 06 06:34 PM
Masonite siding repair No Home Repair 5 July 29th 05 04:07 PM
how to integrate fiber cement with wood siding? [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 31st 05 11:44 AM
Vinyl windows and siding: need to make decision Pat Kiewicz Home Repair 1 July 10th 03 03:09 PM