Posted to alt.home.repair

Default linoleum over ceramic floor tiles

My wife wants to redo the kitchen ( what wife doesn't). We have ceramic
floor tiles and there are significant grooves between the tiles. We
would like to put linoleum over the tiles since removing the tiles
would be rather expensive. One contractor says that there is no problem
with that. The other contractor says that the uneven surface due to the
grooves is a real problem and argues for tile removal. Opinions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

How is contractor one going to handle the grout lines?

You would have to fill in the grooves with something that would stick to the
grout and the tile. I would imagine that you have to etch the tile with
something like muratic acid so the filler will stick. Which I can imagine
it won't. Even if you were going over vinyl, you would have to get an
embossing leveler to fill in the very slight texture on the old floor so it
won't telegraph through.

What if you filled it in and then put on a layer 1/4" luan plywood. The
problem is that the floor is going to get thick.

ps.com...