Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

Default water pipe leak paranoia

When repairing pipes, how long does it take you to stop worrying about it
leaking or bursting and trust it?

I just finished my first major PEX repair to some old galvanized/copper
pipes that the previous owner cursed on me. One joint is in the attic, one
is in the wall, one is the connection between the spout and the pipe. I'm
worried as heck about it bursting, leaking, that sort of thing, but so far I
haven't seen any indication of a leak.

If it isn't leaking by the first 2 minutes, is it safe to say it ain't gonna
leak?

Is there something I can do to mitigate the danger of having a spout fitting
right next to a 220 v plug? (washing machine hot water tap and the dryer
plug basically) I'm thinking that if the water line bursts, spills water
all over the 220 v outlet, I'm in a serious world of hurt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
When repairing pipes, how long does it take you to stop worrying about it
leaking or bursting and trust it?

I just finished my first major PEX repair to some old galvanized/copper
pipes that the previous owner cursed on me. One joint is in the attic, one
is in the wall, one is the connection between the spout and the pipe. I'm
worried as heck about it bursting, leaking, that sort of thing, but so far I
haven't seen any indication of a leak.

If it isn't leaking by the first 2 minutes, is it safe to say it ain't gonna
leak?

Is there something I can do to mitigate the danger of having a spout fitting
right next to a 220 v plug? (washing machine hot water tap and the dryer
plug basically) I'm thinking that if the water line bursts, spills water
all over the 220 v outlet, I'm in a serious world of hurt.

breaker should trip, try not to fret, theres a better chance a washing
machine hose will burst. to be on the safe side turn main water valve
OFF when no one is home.

Be sure your homeowners is paid up

Look a airliner could lose a engine on top of your home....

Cant prevent everything!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

wrote in message
ups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

I guess, but damn its scary to have a bunch of replaced water lines then
just "trust it".

BTW: All those who recommended that I switch to pipe dope instead of teflon
tape - RIGHT ON! It works much better than the tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
When repairing pipes, how long does it take you to stop worrying about it
leaking or bursting and trust it?

I just finished my first major PEX repair to some old galvanized/copper
pipes that the previous owner cursed on me. One joint is in the attic,
one is in the wall, one is the connection between the spout and the pipe.
I'm worried as heck about it bursting, leaking, that sort of thing, but so
far I haven't seen any indication of a leak.

If it isn't leaking by the first 2 minutes, is it safe to say it ain't
gonna leak?

Is there something I can do to mitigate the danger of having a spout
fitting right next to a 220 v plug? (washing machine hot water tap and the
dryer plug basically) I'm thinking that if the water line bursts, spills
water all over the 220 v outlet, I'm in a serious world of hurt.

I would think your fine until a rat our mouse wants a taste.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Eigenvector wrote:

When repairing pipes, how long does it take you to stop worrying about it
leaking or bursting and trust it?

I just finished my first major PEX repair to some old galvanized/copper
pipes that the previous owner cursed on me. One joint is in the attic, one
is in the wall, one is the connection between the spout and the pipe. I'm
worried as heck about it bursting, leaking, that sort of thing, but so far I
haven't seen any indication of a leak.

If it isn't leaking by the first 2 minutes, is it safe to say it ain't gonna
leak?

Is there something I can do to mitigate the danger of having a spout fitting
right next to a 220 v plug? (washing machine hot water tap and the dryer
plug basically) I'm thinking that if the water line bursts, spills water
all over the 220 v outlet, I'm in a serious world of hurt.

We have the same .. in my panic, when the washer hose burst, I was
standing in water and about to reach behind the washer to shut off the
water. Thought better of and and ran out to shut off the main breaker,
then tend to the flood )

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

In the past, I have always had good success with Teflon tape, and so always
used it. I have just completed installing a 5 step filtration system and ran
into a number of problems. First I found that the leadless solder is almost
impossible to work with, especially if some of the fittings are a little
loose. The solder would rather run out of the joint than fill the joint
because of the very narrow temperature range of it being soft or slushy.
Second, I was having seeping at all my tape joints. Replaced the tape with a
good grade of dope and they all sealed tight. It is dope from now on.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
ups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

My dad who lives in phoenix went on vacation for a week Realtives got
the call, water coming out the front door. My brother went over to
check

Had trouble opening front door, 8 inches of water thru out home, on a
slab.

A water filter under kitchen sink had burst,

insurance covered everything but 500 bucks

my dad appreciated the repainted house, and new carpeting, it was due
to be replaced anyway, but with replacement insurance it was free

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 13:36:15 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

When repairing pipes, how long does it take you to stop worrying about it
leaking or bursting and trust it?

I just finished my first major PEX repair to some old galvanized/copper
pipes that the previous owner cursed on me. One joint is in the attic, one
is in the wall, one is the connection between the spout and the pipe. I'm
worried as heck about it bursting, leaking, that sort of thing, but so far I
haven't seen any indication of a leak.

If it isn't leaking by the first 2 minutes, is it safe to say it ain't gonna
leak?

Is there something I can do to mitigate the danger of having a spout fitting
right next to a 220 v plug? (washing machine hot water tap and the dryer
plug basically) I'm thinking that if the water line bursts, spills water
all over the 220 v outlet, I'm in a serious world of hurt.

240V GFCI breaker, a metal or plastic hood over the outlets,
and a kill switch/valve for either the water line or the circut,
(or both) where you can reach it with a stick.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

wrote:

[...]

I was thinking about using one of those plastic outlet covers for the plug,
but do they sell GFI circuits for dryer plugs?

Anyway one of the reasons I'm so paranoid is because the system is
completely non-grounded. Its a 1950's 100A no main breaker no ground bus
fusebox and all my outlets are 2 prong. So until I can come up with the
cash to have an electrician update the fusebox I'm skittish as all get out.

BTW: Where is the 3rd prong on the 220V socket going, I thought it was 3
wire but how is that handled on a non-grounded outlet?