Posted to alt.home.repair
Brandon

Default Drywall Tips?

I need to replace some drywall behind some of my kitchen appliances and
I've never done it before. I'm going to read about how to do it but
are there any things I should know that might not be outlined in my
how-to guide. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Brandon wrote:
I need to replace some drywall behind some of my kitchen appliances and
I've never done it before. I'm going to read about how to do it but
are there any things I should know that might not be outlined in my
how-to guide. Thanks.

Yes, the actual technique of applying the mud. I too tried
sheetrocking after lots of reading on the subject. Made a mess of my
first job. HIred a guy to straighten it out. I learned more in the
first minute watching him than all my reading. Have done a lot since
turning out near professional quality but slow.

Try to find a crew doing the work and ask if you can watch a few
minutes.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mudding is very easy to do very badly, and very hard to do at all well.
I'd consider hiring it out. I just did a down-to-the-studs remodel of
my kitchen and the only 2 professionals I hired were an electrician and
a mudder.

Harry K wrote:
Brandon wrote:
I need to replace some drywall behind some of my kitchen appliances and
I've never done it before. I'm going to read about how to do it but
are there any things I should know that might not be outlined in my
how-to guide. Thanks.

Yes, the actual technique of applying the mud. I too tried
sheetrocking after lots of reading on the subject. Made a mess of my
first job. HIred a guy to straighten it out. I learned more in the
first minute watching him than all my reading. Have done a lot since
turning out near professional quality but slow.

Try to find a crew doing the work and ask if you can watch a few
minutes.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

Mudding is very easy to do very badly, and very hard to do at all well.

Agreed.

The pros can do one quick pass with a few strokes of the knife and it
looks great in a matter of seconds. With a second very quick pass (or
maybe a 3rd) it is done.

Don't even try. Expect to spend a long time fussing with it, spreading
mud, trying to smooth it, putting more on, taking it off, sanding*,
applying multiple layers, etc. For tricky spots, I have gone back 5, 6,
or more times trying to get it to look right, especially while
learning.

My tips:
- Get an assortment of knives: roughly 12", 8", 5", 2". The 12"
especially is very important.
- * Don't sand EVER if you can help it. Use the wet-sponge technique.
Really. It doesn't matter that the pros don't use it. For the rest of
us, it is a win-win approch.