Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any bath vent fans made for old work?

I'm helping a friend who wants to install a bath fan/light in a ceiling
in a bathroom that does not have one now. There is a floor above, so
there is no access above the ceiling. I've looked at Broan, Nutone,
Panasonic and Air King websites and all are designed to install either
in new construction, or where you have access from above in old
construction.

One would think someone would make a unit that could be put into an
application like I have, without having to tear open and then refinish
the sheetrock beyond the fan area. Anyone know of any?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

I've had pretty good success with some of the Broan models. You pretty much
have to have a 12 inch space in the ceiling and a clear bay to the outside
for the duct. You do have to cut about two inches longer than the unit to
get the fitting on the duct, and you have to make your cut against a beam so
you can screw through the unit into the beam to mount it. Over all it comes
out pretty clean

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm helping a friend who wants to install a bath fan/light in a ceiling
in a bathroom that does not have one now. There is a floor above, so
there is no access above the ceiling. I've looked at Broan, Nutone,
Panasonic and Air King websites and all are designed to install either
in new construction, or where you have access from above in old
construction.

One would think someone would make a unit that could be put into an
application like I have, without having to tear open and then refinish
the sheetrock beyond the fan area. Anyone know of any?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

HotRod wrote:
AND where would you vent it too?

That's not a problem, it's std 2X8 joists, so I can run the vent to an
outside wall. What I was hoping to find was a unit where you can cut a
square hole in the sheet rock between, or next to a joist, and be able
to do the install through that opening, without additonal access.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm helping a friend who wants to install a bath fan/light in a ceiling
in a bathroom that does not have one now. There is a floor above, so
there is no access above the ceiling. I've looked at Broan, Nutone,
Panasonic and Air King websites and all are designed to install either
in new construction, or where you have access from above in old
construction.

One would think someone would make a unit that could be put into an
application like I have, without having to tear open and then refinish
the sheetrock beyond the fan area. Anyone know of any?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

wrote in message oups.com...
I'm helping a friend who wants to install a bath fan/light in a ceiling
in a bathroom that does not have one now. There is a floor above, so
there is no access above the ceiling. I've looked at Broan, Nutone,
Panasonic and Air King websites and all are designed to install either
in new construction, or where you have access from above in old
construction.

One would think someone would make a unit that could be put into an
application like I have, without having to tear open and then refinish
the sheetrock beyond the fan area. Anyone know of any?

I used a Panasonic "WhisperFit" unit that should be usable, although you won't
be able to use all the mounts. The easiest mount would be to glue some 1/4"-1/2"
plywood strips to the backside of the wallboard so you can screw the unit to that.
You install the end of the unit first, with the wiring and the vent, attaching it to the joists
with its extendable mounts, and then slide the fan box into that through the hole. Be
sure you allow for the thickness of the vent outlet when putting in the plywood. Try it
before you glue it.

Bob